Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th February 2006, 03:05 PM
driftwood Offline

Post Installation .. problem?

Alrighty, here goes. I'm new to linux and just installed Fedora Core. (I tried slackware, but thought I'd give fedora a shot too)

I've installed dual-boot on one HD. It was the basic "desktop" package drom the DVD.

Now, the install seems go go without a hitch, and when I reboot my system and try to load Fedora, it goes through the boot process but the system seems to "hang" indefinatly when it reaches > Enabling Swap Space.... [OK]

I've tried to reinstall twice now in case it was just a bad go at it. But I get the same results each time.

My partitions are set up as: 1GB Linux Swap/ 20GB Fat32/ 19GB Linux

I can still boot into windows(ME) without any trouble... Dunno where to go from here.
Old 19th February 2006, 07:05 PM
driftwood Offline

Well, after about 8 hours of frustration I have narrowed my issues down some *sigh*

I can get as far as the "Initial Setup" screen in Fedora Core 4.

In order to do this I have to startup in interactive mode and say "No" when it tries to enable the "Sendmail" option.

However, after I go though the initial Firstboot process my system locks up completely.

I install the monitor, test the soundcard al fine, and upon flicking "finish" I end up locked at a blank brown screen. Mouse control is still active, but I am unable to cleanly reboot. And then things really get messed up and I get totally lost.

It has literally taken me HOURS to get this far. Could someone PLEASE help me out?

Last edited by driftwood; 19th February 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 19th February 2006, 10:49 PM
driftwood Offline

Arighty, I may be talking to myself here, but call it the amazing advetures of driftwood and his solo mission to install linux.

I am, in fact, online, and running Fedora Core 4.

Turns out it was all something to do with my network adaptor. I disabled it all at startup and have now detected and reinstalled it all from the Desktop Environment.

So, I'm on the net... and I'm about to try and reboot... let's hope I can leave Win'doh! s behind and report back here from Fedora Core....

I'm just glad I finally got this far, I was close to wondering if this thing could fly.. out my patio door.
Old 19th February 2006, 11:00 PM
driftwood Offline

ok, everything boots up fine with the exception of one error message during bootup.

it reads as follows:

Could not look up internet address for ********.
This will prevent gnome from operating
correctly. It may be possible to correct the
problem by adding ******** to the file /etc/hosts

The ** are there cuz that's my real name showing there... I'd rather just be driftwood here..

Anyhow, I really have no idea how to do that. I'm gonna try though. But if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th February 2006, 11:23 PM
w5set Offline

forget that little domain name (yours) problem for a bit---won't hurt anything except email for a bit---
RELAX and just use FC for a bit--read some here on the forum about host name--changing etc..
surf net a lot--relax and have a cool one--surf some more.
Test out your new install and have a little fun first.
The hostname problem can be fixed later...
U R running--enjoy that fact before sweatin the small stuff..
Looks like an uphill battle ya had.....enjoy a bit before battleing the next problem...
Old 20th February 2006, 01:08 AM
LLS

Yeah weekends are a bit slow on responses, but they might have just messed you up anyway. Good advice above from w5set and you have learned how to use this forum, don't worry, you will get great help with the hard stuff.
Old 20th February 2006, 01:36 AM
driftwood Offline

Lightbulb

thanks all.

I've managed to get just about everything going smoothly now.

I've read the majority of help posts regarding mounting fat32 filesystems, and I have a few questions regarding mounting another drive.

As previously stated I have windowsME and now Fedora Core 4 running on my first (40GB) Hd.

Now, I use this HD for all my programs etc.. both for windows and now for linux.

I also have a 180GB slave drive formatted as fat32, this is my mass media storage unit. All my mpeg, Mp3, avi, .iso etc etc are stored there and I would like to have it mounted and visible here.

I am faily certain I have the mounting instructions right, and I know how to edit the fstab file correctly... broblem (lol) is that I don't know what the volume is labeled as!

since it is a seperate HD on a different IDE channel, would it:

still be labeled as an hda drive?

or would it be hdb1? (I only have the one partition on it btw)

I guess I could just try mounting hdb1 and see what happens... heh.
Old 20th February 2006, 01:58 AM
LLS

One way to see is from root,
Code:
su
press enter with password then

Code:
 /sbin/sfdisk -l
Old 20th February 2006, 02:23 AM
driftwood Offline

Thumbs up

got it! thanks a million! that surely pointed me in the right direction.

I think I'm beginning (hopefully) to understand how this really works.

I've read so much documentation today, been so frustrated, and yet.. strangely satisfied.

I'm just gladd my boss wasn't around to see me, I don't think I've ever worked 1/2 as hard at this at my job LOL.

Now, after nearly 12 hours of this.. my butt is kinda sore, and I'm off to bed.
Old 20th February 2006, 02:25 AM
w5set Offline

good night..
tommorrow's another day...
Old 20th February 2006, 07:51 AM
gothika Offline

Fedora Partitioning

I'm trying to install Fedora but I also have Ubuntu on my second harddrive where I plan to put fedora. And on Anaconda would this work during the installation:

Auto Partition>Remove all Linux partitions[HDB checked off]>then on the next page it puts my Windows name as Other and if I cange that to Windows would all this work?

Tags
installation, post, problem