Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 26th February 2006, 05:09 AM
flashgordon Offline

FC4 DVD Install - Unable to get past Select Driver option for Local CDROM install

Can anyone tell me what I am missing in the install process.

I am booting from a Fedora Core 4 DVD and I can get to the point of select install method. I am prompted to select a driver when I choose Local CDROM for my installation option.

Under the Load Drivers option I see the following drives

fda
sda = 1st SATA hard drive
sdb = 2nd SATA hard drive

The POST shows an ATAPI CDROM device for my IDE Master Primary drive. Also I can see my SATA drives and DVD drive in the BIOS configuration.

Any thoughts on why FC4 Install DVD does not detect DVD drive during install process? It obviously managed to boot and read from the DVD to get to this point.

System Details (according to BIOS)
Motherboard = ASUS P5LD2-VM
SATA Drives = 2 each Hitachi SATA drives
IDE Drives = Memorex DVD16+/-DL (Configured as Master)

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.
Old 27th February 2006, 02:34 AM
flashgordon Offline

I see lots of views on this post but seems that no one knows why a system would boot from a DVD and then subsequently complain that no DVD drive found. I have also attempted to boot from a Lindos CD (purchased CD) and it does not seem to see the CD. The system uses the Intel 945G chipset, not sure if that has any bearing.
Old 28th February 2006, 05:54 AM
flashgordon Offline

Just an add on Note, I can boot with a PeguinSleuth a Live-CD and use the DVD drive without a problem. Any insight from anyone? Version 2003-03-30 Beta of PenguinSleuth.

uname -a output Linux Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs #1 SMP. It seems to see my dual core proc as two procs.. cool.. I think.. In any case just interested in how to figure out why this 2.4.20 based kernel distro reads and boots from CD but FC4 does not. Any thoughts?

Tags
cdrom, driver, dvd, fc4, install, local, option, past, select, unable