Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th February 2006, 04:09 PM
abickle Offline

Wont Boot after New Fresh Install FC4

Hello, I did not see another thread with my issue so here it goes.
I have Installed FC4 in both Text and Graphical mode. It says everything
goes ok, but it won't boot. No error message or anything, just hangs.
Tried several combinations, and there is no other operating system on the machine.
just a 20 gig drive. I am Totally new to Fedora or linux/unix for that matter.
Any ideas where I might start trouble shooting. I also tried to upgrade. The upgrade
always put firefox on and says it's done. but it never boots. Selected grub to go on
MBR. Your help is appreaciated. Thanks
Old 26th February 2006, 04:12 PM
mufa Offline

Give us more details about your hardware, please.
Old 26th February 2006, 04:22 PM
GallComp Online
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Yes a more detaied description of your hardware will help a lot... Right now you are just asking how to solve your problem but without the propper information there will be no chance to know what is the cause of your problem...

Brand, CPU, Memory, videoCard, Ram installed, network adapters, ... that info will get you some advice from the community...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 26th February 2006, 04:25 PM
abickle Offline

Hardward list requested

Thanks for Replying,
Here is the hardware.
AMD K6/300 processor. 20 gig ide hard drive. Standard cd rom. 128mb ram. have USR 56k modem card, sound card, and matrox video card. no floppy. award bios.
Old 26th February 2006, 05:12 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Might want to check out the Hardware and Memory Requirements: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/ - you're at the low end on both, which could make the experience less than stellar when you do get it running.

Noticed this article that might interest you: http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/02/13/1854251
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 26th February 2006, 06:36 PM
abickle Offline

Solution

When checking the bios settings there was side note that said, "Some os's like unix, use normal for hard drive mode"
So since force lba didn't work, i changed the harddrive mode to normal in the bios.
IT loaded and comes up after reboot. But I cannot see websites through firefox. so now i have to fiqure out how to get to a command line, what the FC4 equivalant is for ipconfig and tracert.
Thanks to all who replied.
Old 26th February 2006, 07:46 PM
mufa Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by abickle
so now i have to fiqure out how to get to a command line, what the FC4 equivalant is for ipconfig and tracert.
Thanks to all who replied.
ifconfig and traceroute

Tags
boot, fc4, fresh, install