Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 7th March 2006, 11:02 AM
Peter D Offline

Un-installing the distro Open Office before I install the latest Open Office

Hi,

Looking at the Open Office website, they recommend uninstalling or removing previous versions of Open Office before downloading and installing the latest Open Office.

I am using Fedora Core 4 on my laptop which has a beta version of Open Office. I want to uninstall this Open Office before downloading and installing the latest Open Office for linux.

Please can folks advise me of how I can uninstall the distro Open Office, and then install the latest Open Office once I've downloaded it.

Thanks, Peter D.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:05 PM
neilloffhagen Offline

To remove it the follwing should work:

yum remove openoffice*

then just type Y if you're happy the right files are being removed.

Though it might be worth doing:

yum update openoffice*

as I think it will update just openoffice to the latest version available in the repos.

Neil.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:26 PM
jowah Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D
I am using Fedora Core 4 on my laptop which has a beta version of Open Office. I want to uninstall this Open Office before downloading and installing the latest Open Office for linux.
I'll second the suggestion made by the poster above - get your FC4 system updated and you will the latest, non-beta OpenOffice.org 2.0.1.

1: Don't uninstall - update!
Code:
yum -y update
2: Have coffee/take a walk while it finishes

Last edited by jowah; 13th March 2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 7th March 2006, 04:23 PM
Peter D Offline

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have dial up only. I would be downloading Open Office in a "...tar.gz" file I think its called - or else it may come with an "installer". But its not on CD.

So are these "yum update" commands applicable?

Though update would seem ideal, again Open Office recommends un-installing previous versions first, before installing newer versions.

Thanks, Peter D.
Old 7th March 2006, 06:17 PM
neilloffhagen Offline

If you're going to do the yum update you do not need to uninstall. The only reason to uninstall is if you want to install the one you downloaded in the tar.gz format, which you'd need to extract first. It really is a lot simpler to do the yum update and then you the latest version that is set to work best with fedora.

I'd suggest having a read of the following guides, some of which will give you a fuller of view of yum and the benefits it gives when installing and/or updating software.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora...fc4/index.html

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html

Neil.

Tags
distro, install, latest, office, open, uninstalling