Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2006, 06:21 AM
nitinvirgo079 Offline

Alternate to CP command

Hi ,

I need to take backup of around 10 GB of data of one of my WEB server on to an additional HDD attached to this server.
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 72G 15G 54G 22% /
/dev/hda1 114M 8.2M 100M 8% /boot
none 504M 0 504M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb1 74G 13G 57G 19% /opt1

I have to take backup of " /home/xxx/public_html/* " to /opt1/backup/.
for this i use ...
cp -rp /home/xxx/public_html/* /opt1/backup/
But this command is generating high LOAD....

Please suggest something....
Old 11th March 2006, 08:21 AM
aipforum Offline

A simple little trick I learned to do exactly what you are doing.
Use the tar command:

Code:
# tar cvf - /home/xxx/public_html | (cd /opt1/backup ; tar xpf -)
tar cvf - Creates the archive, Verbose listing showing you what is actually being copied from your public_html dir, and the "f" is for the filename, which in this case is simply "-". The | is for piping the 2nd half of the command: changing directories and "tar xpf - ". The tar xpf eXtracts the files from the - file, Preserving permissions, and of course the filename of - (which is simply a temporary name just to get the job done).

You can always rename the file from - to anything you like, but I kept it the way I learned. You can also find that - file and keep it if you want just as a backup.

You might also try to do this after a fresh boot. Always seems to help for something intensive like that. But really, 10 gigs may seem like a lot but on a relatively new machine, any method you use shouldn't be that long or heavy on your system, especially if you aren't trying to do several other things at once. It should only take a few minutes at most.

Good luck. Hope that helps.
Check the syntax to make sure it suits what you are trying to do (especially folder names).

One other thing you might consider, drop down to init 1 and do it without KDE or gnome running. That will free up a lot of resources and should make this fly quickly.

-- Brent

Last edited by aipforum; 11th March 2006 at 08:24 AM.

Tags
alternate, command