Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2006, 10:15 PM
bisctboy Offline

Home folder vs. root Home folder?

I'm trying to install a nvidia driver for a graphics card I just installed in my computer. I went to Stanton Finley's FC3 install notes page to get instructions. It seems very straight forward but when I reboot and log in as root, the downloaded driver "run" program is not in the "ls" section. I logged in with my normal user name and password and BINGO..there is the program I moved to my Home folder. I am a complete newbie to Linux and can not figure out where the root's Home folder is vs. my regular home folder. I was able to find a file named root in my system, but it will not allow my to move the "run" program for the driver to it. It tells me that I do not have permission. Where am I going wrong?

Also, I tried to run "sh *.run" in my terminal as a normal user and it says that I must be a root user to do this. But, as I mentioned before, the "run" program for the nvidia driver is in my user Home folder. Where is my root's Home folder and how do I move the "run" program to it.

Thanks,

Marshall.
Old 19th March 2006, 10:40 PM
w5set Offline

try in a terminal in your "users" home
su -
(the minus sign is important more or less amd has a space between the su and the "-")
this gives root path and priveleges
it will ask the root password--so give it
then run it from there with the "sh *.run" or whatever command
Old 19th March 2006, 11:11 PM
bisctboy Offline

Running the "sh *.run" command while I am the root looks for any programs in the root's Home folder that end in ".run". Unfortunately, the ".run" program (nvidia driver) that I need to run is in my users Home folder, not my root Home folder. I need to know where my root Home folder is and how I can copy the driver from my desktop to the root Home folder so that when I am logged in as the root I can run the program. Any idea where I might find this root Home folder?
Old 20th March 2006, 12:20 AM
w5set Offline

while you are "su -"/root
do a
cd /home/"username"
where "username" is your users login name--without the quote marks
it should run from the users "home" directory while you are root priveleged.
Old 20th March 2006, 01:12 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Actually w5set, he's got to be logged out of 'X' to do this (which is my favorite way). Quick and easy way:
1). Log in as usual
2). Open a terminal and sign in as root (su -) as w5set told you.
3). Type "telinit 3" and you'll end up with a black screen that you can log into (you've left 'x')
4). Sign in as 'root' with root's password.
5). 'cd /home/yourname'
6). 'sh *.run' (assuming you only have one .run file sitting in your /home directory)
7). Answer the questions 'yes' and allow it to seek, fail and then create the Nvidia driver, etc.
8). 'telinit 5' or 'startx' to go back into 'x'.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th March 2006, 03:10 AM
bisctboy Offline

SWEET!!!! I figured it out (with a lot of clues from you guys). When I intially downloaded the program, I was logged in as a normal user (not root) so when I move the run program to my Home folder, I was moving it to my normal (not root) user's Home folder. Once I figured out that when FC3 boots I have a choice to log in as root or a normal user, my root Home folder issue was solved. Anyway, thanks again for making me think about what I was doing and figuring it out. I really appreciate it!!

Marshall
Old 20th March 2006, 03:28 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
No problem... Oh, by the way, please read the Guidelines and don't double-post (missed it earlier) ... and so, Thread Closed!
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Closed Thread

Tags
folder, home, root