Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st March 2006, 04:35 PM
Skinney Offline

corrupted mp3 files after usb transfer

Hi!
trying to succesfully transfer mp3 files to my usb player is a real pain in the ass...
First of all, half of the files(or more) seems to get corrupted during transfer(0kb files) and then i have to copy the corrupted files again and again, unmounting and mounting, hoping for it to work... it takes ALOT of time but works eventually...
Anyway, anyone else than me who has this problem? I also had this problem in FC4 so for you who havent upgraded, it hasnt changed...
I've read somewhere that the new linux kernel (2.6.16) will have better usb support. Will this fix the problem? And when do you think the latest kernel will become available to Fedora?

Thanks for your replies
Registered Linux User #412673
Old 13th November 2006, 09:31 AM
hlloyge Offline

I am using FC6, and I have the same exact problem. I have Creative MuVo TX SE 512 MB player. In KDE, I open the drive, delete all files and folders there, and drag'n'drop new files and folders. Copying starts, but with enormous speeds, 450 MB copied in 20 seconds. Indicator of file transfer on my player lights just for a short time, and then it stops. When I make "safely disconnect", it lights up again for a bit, now longer, and shuts down again, and dismounts.
When I play files, I can hear a bit of a song that was deleted before, then some new song... and again new song...
What can I do to fix this?
Copying to USB HDD works just fine.
Old 13th November 2006, 10:54 AM
markkuk Offline

"safely remove" isn't really safe, you must wait until the filesystem buffers are really flushed to the player before you can disconnect it: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=214364
Old 13th November 2006, 03:06 PM
JoeyJoJoe Offline

ah, yes, I know what you're talking about (and my HDD worked perfectly for copying as well - untill it died, but thats another story) anywho, to the parent poster, I'll assume your using GNOME (which I am and is the default...)

If you stick the files on there, wait a little while and then tell it to unmount, it will write all the files as it should (or at least it did for me). If you have a little light on your USB thing then it should flash for a while after you tell it to unmount.

It would be better if it did it on the fly but it doesn't seem to all the time...
Registered Linux User #416286
Old 13th November 2006, 04:46 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
I recently discovered that some of my mp3s have merged with some of my audiobook mp3s...
I was recently listening to a audiobook, and then music started playing, then it went back to the book
...but not where it left off
I used a USB flash drive to copy files from lap to desk...
my USB flash drive light continues to be on even after I get confirmation of the copy by konqueror( I do a "safely remove")...so I suspect I may have pulled the drive out prematurely before I noticed it wasn't done copying?

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570

Last edited by sailor; 13th November 2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 14th November 2006, 04:45 PM
hlloyge Offline

I will try copying from terminal; when I was using GNOME, I got that big thingie saying that I must not remove drive... but in KDE I got nothing. And I like KDE better than GNOME, it's easier for me.

Tags
corrupted, files, mp3, transfer, usb