Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 21st March 2006, 10:42 PM
jobtuse Offline

How do I disable/change the new circular mouse pointer animation?

After upgrading to FC5 the mouse pointer (launch feedback?) is animated into a circular spinning image when new windows are launched or web pages are loaded etc, it's rather epilepsy inducing. How do I change back to the hourglass animation or disable mouse pointer animations completely?
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:30 PM
rhodes187 Offline

EXCELLENT QUESTION!! I can not stand that new pointer animation, way too much flicker, plus it makes the pointer too big. Did you ever find a solution?
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:53 PM
Tuxic Offline

I don't know how this is done in FC5, I like the new animation, it's how you say it "cool" , as a matter of fact after having it on my FC 5 box I want it on my FC 4 laptop, any ideas on how to get it ?
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:05 PM
jobtuse Offline

I haven't yet had any luck changing/fixing the new mouse pointer animation. Whether the animation is "cool" or not there should be an easy way to change/disable it or revert to FC4 hour glass animation.
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:27 AM
Vashypooh Offline

There was a mouse theme thing somewhere in system, check in there? I dont know exact location, im in windows atm
Old 24th March 2006, 12:19 AM
kurtis Offline

At least on FC4 if you edit the file /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme and change the Inherits line to be Inherits=Core then you should get the standard mouse theme. Otherwise I know kde has something in kcontrol to change these on a per user basis. Editing the file above will change it system wide.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:51 AM
jobtuse Offline

Thanks. I figured it was something like that (yesterday I deleted default/index.theme and the problem went away). There should be a way to override the system wide default on a per user basis for something as important as mouse pointer icon/animation but I couldn't figure a way to set that. Mouse pointer animation should not be the default behavior in my interpretation.
Old 24th March 2006, 03:17 AM
mlavalle Offline

I'd also like an easy way to change the animation. I prefer the hour glass to the current wait-pointer in FC5.
Old 24th March 2006, 04:12 AM
kurtis Offline

Well, under KDE if go into kcontro. Got to peripherals->Mouse and then click on the Cursor theme tab it lets you switch them very easy.
Old 24th March 2006, 04:13 AM
kurtis Offline

kcontrol that is.
Old 24th March 2006, 08:13 AM
nmeu Offline

or you could reinstall windows and quit complaining about a badass cursor.. poop. FC5 installed fine and worked perfect for me first install... i had to install a few extra things and compile this here and there.. but whatever.. if you don't like it.. contribute.
Old 28th March 2006, 12:51 PM
Phobeus Offline

Interesting how different the opinions about a mouse cursor could be. Here is an additional one: I really like the new animation. However since, I am running the nvidia driver, it is not circling anymore smooth, it is flickering arround like hell. Looks like he is switching all the time between the nornal cursor and the circle. If I move back to nv, everything looks fine again. Can anyone confirm this or has an idea how to fix this?
Old 28th March 2006, 04:48 PM
rhodes187 Offline

Yes, I also have an NVidia card and the flicker on the animation is annoying, not to mention I think the animation is dumb anyhow.
Old 28th March 2006, 08:26 PM
Seehund Offline

I like it too, but it seems the medium size Bluecurve mouse pointer theme doesn't include the animation. Or is that just on my computer?

I think the small (default size) theme is too tiny for any resolution >1024x768.
Old 28th March 2006, 09:16 PM
Meowy Offline

I looked in the Bluecurve theme's folder and all the hourglasses are gone, its just the spinny thing.
Registered Linux user #393374

Tags
animation, circular, disable or change, mouse, pointer