PDA

View Full Version : Yum vs. Apt - Pros and Cons

Mikha
29th March 2004, 10:21 PM
Hey everybody, just joined a few minutes ago after someone made a referal on slashdot.

This isn't really a problem I am having, but this seemed like the best forum to ask the question in since this board is geared for Fedora users.

The question is, which one is better for a Fedora user, Yum or Apt? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I haven't seen any place that had a summary and comparison of Yum and Apt yet (although I haven't looked too hard either) so I thought it might be a good first post.

Bakaneko
29th March 2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Mikha

The question is, which one is better for a Fedora user, Yum or Apt? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Here are a few I can think of, and note that these aren't necessary in comparison to each OTHER, but just things about each:

yum Pros:
Comes with Fedora by default.
Widely supported by many RPM repositories.
Fairly easy to roll your own repository.

yum Cons:
No "pinning" or other mechanisms for backing out updates.
Somewhat confusing to create a hierarchy of "trust," in terms of which repositories to use for which packages.
No graphical update/management tool.

apt Pros:
Somewhat wider support across distributions (since its a Debian tool)
Synaptic, a graphical GUI for doing updates.
"Pinning" support, and uninstall support.

apt Cons:
Not a base part of the FC package set.
Perhaps a slightly higher learning curve to use effectively.
Harder to use as a verb in jargon filled conversations. "I apted that last night" as opposed to "Yum up that new GIMP2 package, it's great!"

Prometheus
29th March 2004, 10:39 PM
I personally like Yum, but thats for a few reasons... Yum is slightly easier once you learn the commands, but it does take a while to download the headers if you dont have broadband. THats probably the main advantage of APT from my point of view. On a slower connection APt works better and faster. Ask Ug, he'll testify to that fact. If youve got broadband, i would say go for yum, but make sure you know some of the basic commands first. If youre on dialup, go for APT.

Mikha
29th March 2004, 10:40 PM
Hmm, interesting.

Important for someone like me is the ability to undo any updates, incase I screw up someplace :P

As for verbing, could always say, "I Got that last night" and "Get that new GIMP2 package, it's great!"

Might be confusing though.

EDIT: To Prometheus, I have broadband, but I average 20 Kb/sec =-/ And no choice either, since SBC has exclusive rights to the line, and no cable access yet either. Only alternative is 56k.

Good argument for pro-choice discussions with people.

ghenry
29th March 2004, 10:45 PM
I don't think Yum has a:
apt-get -f install ???

Prometheus
29th March 2004, 10:46 PM
you could probably go either way with yum or apt then. Work with them both and use the one youre most comfortable with. Thats my best advice.

ghenry, never tried, itd be an interestring thing to do though.... ill try it later.

Mikha
29th March 2004, 10:52 PM
Ok, thanks!

Thoreau
30th March 2004, 03:39 AM
Yeah i've noticed that even on a T1 line(university) it still takes a bit. It only happens when i uncomment a repository.

Jman
30th March 2004, 03:32 PM
As ususal, the best place to get a command summary is the man page.

man yum
man apt-get

Personally, I perfer yum, but I do have both installed.