Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

System Hanging during Downloading?

Hi everyone,

My Fedora setup is working great so far, and I don't really have any complaints. I installed it on a portable hard drive, connected over USB. Thing is, I installed my system with the LiveCD, and I wanted to download the full DVD for a friend because of his needs for his system. When I try to download the full DVD (whether over Firefox or Transmission), the system hangs by suddenly showing a screen with the Fedora logo in the middle and a light blue background, the same as in boot up. Also, my caps lock blinks in a consistent fashion like a metronome. The same happens whether I try to download to the portable hard drive or to a FAT32 partition on my laptop's actual hard drive. Is there any way to fix this, or can I be calmed by the fact that it just happens because it's installed on a portable hard drive? This problem isn't happening on Ubuntu (which is installed on my laptop's hard drive), where I am downloading from right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: System Hanging during Downloading?

May be the life of your portable hard drive is near to end. sometimes accessing (like downloading a huge file in you case) gives random errors. Does it hangs on other downloads as well (of the same size of course)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: System Hanging during Downloading?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesph
    May be the life of your portable hard drive is near to end. sometimes accessing (like downloading a huge file in you case) gives random errors. Does it hangs on other downloads as well (of the same size of course)
    I'm not sure. It's the first time I've tried to download a 3 GB DVD ISO. And hard drive life span may be the case....it's taken out from a 2002 laptop and put into an external hard drive casing.