Hello,

I was doing a kernel upgrade (from the recommended updates) the other night, and right in the middle of the update process the power went out. When i try to reboot my machine, grub gives me 2 kernel options:

1. FC 2.6.34.7-63.fc13.x86_64 < If i try to boot from this one I get: Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format, then returns to grub. I think this was because it didnt finish updating the kernel, I don't know for sure though.

2. FC 2.6.34-7-61.fc13.x86_64 < If i try to boot from this, it starts processing some stuff and attemp[ing to boot. Then it gets to a kernel panic:
not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(0,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper not tainted 2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64 #1
Call Trace:
[<ffffffff8144abc5>] panic0x78/0xf8

It has a bunch more lines like that, not sure if they are important or not.

The first time i tried to reboot after this had happened it had gone to a different screen and told me I should run "fsck". I did that and answered yes to everything it asked. It completed, and now I am at the step described above.

So i downloaded FC14 and tried to mount my harddrive in an attempt to save some files. All that displays about my harddrive in /dev is sda, sda1, sda2. sda1 mounts just fine, but it has the partition with all of the kernels (i think this is the boot partition). The other 2 (I dont think you are actually supposed to be able to mount sda???) do not mount, when I try they simply say the device, or the directory I am mounting to is busy or already mounted. I looked all over to see if those drives were mounted somewhere else, but they werent - the directory was free also.

At this point, Im not sure if my OS is recoverable. Worst case scenario I can easily just re-install. I am just REALLY hoping i can salvage some of the files i have in my home directory.

Does anyone have some advice?

Thanks in advance.