<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] Normal users can't perform standard actions | No session found for UID 1000 (unknown)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normal users can't perform standard actions | No session found for UID 1000 (unknown)

I have the issue shown in thread http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=278175 (marked as SOLVED)
    but here I'm not able to "solve" it checking a systemd, pam or polkit multilib presence.

I found some bugs filed in bugzilla, mostly only partially related or closed because the issue disappeared with an update, but without a discovery on the issue.

I've performed a yum update from F16 as Hansvon, following the common safe practices outlined in the wiki. Everything was fine, I've logged in and out for a couple of days, when suddenly

- I can't try to connect to _any_ wireless network as normal user. Saved wireless credentials are not available for the normal user. Wireless works only if I login as root: only as root I find all the saved wireless networks --> I get error "No session found for UID 1000 (unknown)" if I try to add a new wireless network

- Audio does not work anymore, only "output dummy" (muted) shows up if logged in as standard user.
    Audio does work if I login as root.

- I cannot mount any partition via dolphin ("Not authorized") when in KDE, and I can't mount any partition as normal user in GNOME and XFCE as well. Only partitions mounted at boot (/etc/fstab) are available to normal user.

- I cannot change KDM settings ("Not authorized") as normal user

Actually, my /etc/sudoers is the same as with F16, and it contains

Code:
    root                      ALL=(ALL)       ALL
    userWithUID1000           ALL=(ALL)       ALL
    Some installed packages:
    Code:
    rpm.x86_64                                                     4.9.1.3-6.fc17                               @updates-testing  
    rpm-build.x86_64                                               4.9.1.3-6.fc17                               @updates-testing  
    rpm-build-libs.x86_64                                          4.9.1.3-6.fc17                               @updates-testing  
    rpm-libs.x86_64                                                4.9.1.3-6.fc17                               @updates-testing  
    rpm-python.x86_64                                              4.9.1.3-6.fc17                               @updates-testing  
    rpmconf.noarch                                                 0.3.3-2.fc17                                 @fedora           
    rpmdevtools.noarch                                             8.2-2.fc17                                   @fedora
    Code:
    yum.noarch                                                             3.4.3-23.fc17                                   @fedora
    yum-langpacks.noarch                                                   0.2.4-3.fc17                                    @fedora
    yum-metadata-parser.x86_64                                             1.1.4-6.fc17                                    @fedora
    yum-plugin-fastestmirror.noarch                                        1.1.31-4.fc17                                   @fedora
    yum-plugin-remove-with-leaves.noarch                                   1.1.31-4.fc17                                   @fedora
    yum-presto.noarch                                                      0.7.3-1.fc17                                    @fedora
    yum-utils.noarch                                                       1.1.31-4.fc17                                   @fedora
    Code:
    systemd.x86_64                                               44-8.fc17                                        @updates-testing
    systemd-analyze.x86_64                                       44-8.fc17                                        @updates-testing
    systemd-gtk.x86_64                                           44-8.fc17                                        @updates-testing
    systemd-sysv.x86_64                                          44-8.fc17                                        @updates-testing
    Code:
    pam.x86_64                                                   1.1.5-5.fc17                                              @fedora
    pam_krb5.x86_64                                              2.3.13-2.fc17                                             @fedora
    pam_pkcs11.x86_64                                            0.6.2-8.fc17                                              @fedora
    Code:
    accountsservice.x86_64                                        0.6.19-1.fc17                                   @updates-testing
    accountsservice-libs.x86_64                                   0.6.19-1.fc17                                   @updates-testing
    package-cleanup does not show anything relevant.

Any hint is welcome

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Other infos:
    SELinux is completely disabled.

I updated UID and GID from 500:500 to 1000:1000 several months ago, when I updated to F16. Last time I formatted these disks was in 2010 (...), except for a minor directory, mounted via /etc/fstab, that I tried to "update" to btrfs (I didn't use the ext->btrfs conversion: I formatted ex novo).
    Everything in group "Base" is installed and updated, except "prelink", that I dislike.
    I run an update today, and most notably I updated packages accountsservice to 0.6.20-1 and the kernel to 3.3.4-4
    On a side note, I had to downgrade (re-distrosync to F16) X (1.12 does not work nicely with my ati card)(with or without fglrx+kernel patch). I really believe it's completely unrelated to this issue. I moved from X 1.11 to X 1.12 (and related dependencies, most notably startup-notification and xcb-util) and back before I encountered the issue I propose in this thread, and everything was fine. And it has been fine for a couple of days, logging in and out, powering on and off several times. It's not commendable, I know, but it worked. Reverting to X 1.12 obviously do not solve the issue, package-cleanup shows problems only on rubygem* related dependencies.

It's something deeper: user seems not to be recognized by some system components. I can login as root, establish a wireless connection, close root session, log in as standard user, and the established wireless connection is available (until dropped/canceled). But, just to make some practical examples, I can't properly use firefox, or Nightly. Some navigation works, but on some pages (like on fedoraforum.org) all images and text disappears. This does not happen if I use a browser when logged in as root.

I checked services (system-config-services / systemadm / systemctl) and I can't see where and if something is wrong.

Any hint is welcome; otherwise I'll have to format soon (and I guess, revert to F16 for a while: maybe I've been too bold with this "beefy" release) if I can't make any sense of it. I can't continue to login to e.g. KDE as root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Solved

Chroot'd from a Live USB of F17 TC3.
    Reinstalled all installed packages in group "Base", system*, xorg*, pam*, xcb* + rpmconf -a
    It returned in a working state, and X 1.12 works much better than at first glance. Something from F16 was still there, even though I did rpmconf et cetera.