Fedora as 3rd OS
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora as 3rd OS

I need suggestion: I'm now using duel boot, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04, in my computer. Now, I want to install Fedora 16 as a 3rd OS. What should be the ideal process for installing it? My configuration is Intel Duel core 3Ghtz, 2 GB RAM and 1 TB HD.
    Last edited by tanvsb; 2nd May 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora as 3rd OS

HP 14 DQ 1025CL | Intel Core i5-1035G1 -Icelake 256GB SSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my ...
    Why you want two linux distro on the same PC? Believe me differences between them not enough to do that.
    And I see only one reason for windows on the PC it's when you want try some game or you you want to try some virus...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll miss the software center: sudo yum install yumex
    Stay 32 bit, as you dont have 'enough' hardware to get a benefit from 64bit.

This said, i agree to the statements alrady said.
    However, you might want to see all of the Fedora Spins.
    * Shell Wrapper and Runtime Modifier (SWARM): https://github.com/sri-arjuna/SWARM
    * Yet Another Simple Script Installer (YASSI): https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?323099
    * EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    * Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sea
    You'll miss the software center: sudo yum install yumex
    Stay 32 bit, as you dont have 'enough' hardware to get a benefit from 64bit.

This said, i agree to the statements alrady said.
    However, you might want to see all of the Fedora Spins.
    Thanks.... I would like to install Fedora just to have a new taste of linux...

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coozoo
    Oh my ...
    Why you want two linux distro on the same PC? Believe me differences between them not enough to do that.
    And I see only one reason for windows on the PC it's when you want try some game or you you want to try some virus...
    Thanks... Just want to have the taste of Fedora....

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Thanks... I hope these would be enough for me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. Just want to have the taste of Fedora....
    i have been using fedora for more than a year, I couldn't find anything special.
    After all the initial setup Arch Linux, Fedora , Debian all feels the same. You can even make ubuntu exactly the way you want like fedora. Obviously package managers will differ. Functionality is going to be the same.
    sorry if I crashed all the surprise.
    HP 14 DQ 1025CL | Intel Core i5-1035G1 -Icelake 256GB SSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tanvsb
    Thanks... Just want to have the taste of Fedora....
    Just wear it

I think, if you really want to do that, the main problem it's a partitioning:
    For example:
    1 Sure your windows should have primary partition.
    2 one /boot (or root) for ubuntu should be primary too
    3 and another one /boot (or root) for fedora
    4 all other partitions in extended part

I think you could skip installation of botloader and configure by hands your own that was already installed by ubuntu. But I think fedora should automatically recognize your systems.

But my suggestion - use virtualbox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to have the taste of Fedora....
    If this is the case, I would suggest you try doing this inside a virtual machine (ie. Virtual Box). It is relatively simple, safe (to not break your current setup), and allows you to have a go at new distros to your heart's content!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all... I've checked Fedora through live boot....
    Last edited by tanvsb; 3rd May 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my ...
    Ubuntu is easy to install. If you like windows then you can move to Ubuntu and it will do about the
    same thing. But you have to add quite a bit for it to have the feel of FC. The people I have met who
    like Ubuntu do not like the command line. I tried Ubuntu once and did not like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my ...
    Well, to deviate a little bit, I'm running Fedora and Ubuntu on my machine. Mostly because some things like gaming on wine are more straightforward and have more easily available support on Ubuntu.
    Having said that, functionality-wise they're all pretty much the same to me. Although it feels like it's easier for me to customize Fedora the way I want to rather than Ubuntu.

@Tanvsb - As other people have noted, just to check a distro, it's better (and safer) to install it on a virtual machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you dont feel like manually going through all the partition stuff and dont mind reinstalling Ubuntu, the easiest way I've done it, is just install Fedora with the Fedora installer , it will recognize Windows and pave over Ubuntu, then reinstall Ubuntu. Ubuntu's installer will identify Fedora and Windows and install itself along side them. The Boot order by default will be Ubuntu, Win, Fedora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhmm, just install Virtualbox on Ubuntu and then you can try every other distro you want, whenever you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kevdora's solution sounds like it makes sense.

What I know from my experience back in the Fedora 8 days is that when I tried to install Fedora as a triple-boot alongside WinXP and PC-BSD, Fedora wouldn't boot properly. It would always stall mid-boot and go nowhere. I eventually figured out that during my Fedora 8 install, anaconda [Fedora's installer program] would see the "/" directory name in the HDD "slice" assigned to BSD, and to avoid confusion between that and Fedora's "/" directory, anaconda would change the standard boot argument of root "/" to something like root "LABEL=/". To work around this, I had to wipe the hdd and do a reinstall of the 3 OSes in a specific sequence, and they cohabited on my hard drive quite happily after that.

I filed a bug report at the time on https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug...iple&id=429365, for more info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is why partitions are nowadays identified by UID instead of label.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast