Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th February 2014, 06:51 PM
glarehz Offline

linuxfirefox
Where to put boot time commands now?

Used to be rc.local. I tried several tips online for modern Fedora versions to enable rc.local again, but none of them worked. Fedora changed all around and now I don't know where to put things that I want to happen on boot.

Specifically, I want to do this: cpupower frequency-set --max 3600000

The guide on cpupower didn't say how we could make the command persistant across boots. No mention of a configuration file for it.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 07:03 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: Where to put boot time commands now?

You can still use the rc.local file method, it's just that the rc.local file is no longer automatically created.
Create it in /etc/rc.d/
As always, it's a bash format file, so first line in the file must be: #!/bin/bash
And as always, it must be executable: # chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.local

The rc-local.service will handle it.
Code:
$ sudo systemctl status rc-local.service
rc-local.service - /etc/rc.d/rc.local Compatibility
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service; static)
   Active: active (exited) since Wed 2014-02-05 08:13:36 EST; 4h 46min ago
  Process: 823 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/rc.local start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 05 08:13:36 Brody systemd[1]: Started /etc/rc.d/rc.local Compatibility
What cpu are you running? If it's a newer Intel, the governor driver for it has changed (beginning in F19) to intel_pstate, which is far superior to the previous acpi-cpufreq driver.
Old 5th February 2014, 07:06 PM
glarehz Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello, thank you for the reply. I did try several things to get rc.local to run at boot again. Including putting the file in /etc/ and also /etc/rc.d/, starting the service with systemctl, and ensuring that texecutable bits were set. I will try it again though and see what happens.

I am running on an i7-4960x. So, according to your guidance, I should look into intel_pstate instead, and uninstall packages relating to acpi-cpufreq?

Thanks again
Old 5th February 2014, 07:12 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

No, no need to uninstall anything acpi-cpufreq. The kernel will automatically choose which governor to use depending on which cpu it finds.
Code:
$ sudo cpupower -c 0 frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 0.97 ms.
  hardware limits: 1.20 GHz - 3.10 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 1.20 GHz and 3.10 GHz.
                  The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.97 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes
    2900 MHz max turbo 4 active cores
    2900 MHz max turbo 3 active cores
    2900 MHz max turbo 2 active cores
    3100 MHz max turbo 1 active cores
The intel_pstate driver handles turbo-boost very well. The above is on my:
Code:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
cpu.
Old 5th February 2014, 07:19 PM
glarehz Offline

linuxfirefox

I just tried to do rc.local on this computer and got this:

# systemctl enable rc-local.service
The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
using systemctl.

If it's not meant to be enabled with systemctl, how might I enable it?

# systemctl status rc-local.service
rc-local.service - /etc/rc.d/rc.local Compatibility
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service; enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Ok -- I was changing it to sort of disable Turbo Boost. Will I still use the same command (cpupower) to do this, in rc.local, even though my processor uses intel_pstate?

Here's the thing that prompted all of this. My other computer has an intel i7-980x. The processors there go up to, I believe, 3.3 GHz. But they are always idling at around 1.7 GHz unless a lot of work is going on. On this new computer, the processors spend a whole lot of time up in the 3+ GHz range. I want them to idle down when they're not busy, just like the other computer.
Old 5th February 2014, 07:20 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

It's a "static" service, which means you neither enable or disable it. It just works on its own when it finds a valid rc.local file in the /etc/rc.d/ directory.
Quote:
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service; static)
Old 5th February 2014, 07:29 PM
glarehz Offline

linuxfirefox

That helps, thanks. Should I not use the cpupower command with my processor then? You mentioned there were some differences for intel_pstate? I want my processor to idle at around 1600 kHz when it's not busy, just like my other computer does.
Old 5th February 2014, 07:34 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
On this new computer, the processors spend a whole lot of time up in the 3+ GHz range. I want them to idle down when they're not busy, just like the other computer.
Yeah, a lot of folks used to seeing their Intel cpu's sitting at it's lowest idle speed with the acpi-cpufreq "ondeamand" governor in charge were disconcerted when they upgraded to a newer version of Fedora and then saw their cpu jumping all over the place, including over the base max frequency. Relax.

With the intel_pstate "powersave" driver in charge, your cpu speed is overall greater, but it also lowers the actual voltage to the cpu under less stressful load. In fact, the actual cpu speed switching happens so fast with intel_pstate, your monitoring software can't even begin to follow it, it's changing in milli-second intervals. So you get crispier performance with no penalty in actual power usage. In fact, it might even be using less power.

But, if you really want the comfort of your old and familiar acpi-cpufreq driver, all you have to do to get it back is add this to your kernel boot line:

PHP Code:
intel_pstat=disable 
By doing that, the kernel will fall back to using the acpi-cpufreq driver.

There are things you can do to manage the intel_pstate driver itself though, such as disable turbo-boost (but why would you want to?):
Code:
echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo
My personal choice was to embrace the intel_pstate driver as a huge advance over the old acpi-cpufreq driver.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 5th February 2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 5th February 2014, 07:45 PM
glarehz Offline

linuxfirefox

My concern is not with power savings -- it's with the life time of the processor. I've assumed that with the cores all running faster, and seemingly all of the time, that the processor life will be shortened. Is this assumption false given the new information you've shown me?

Also, do you recommend the power save governor over an alternative, with ptat?

Thanks -- I can't believe there's not a 'thanks' function on this board. You've helped me a lot
Old 5th February 2014, 08:04 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm no real expert on cpu longevity, but from everything I do know, the one real threat to cpu life is heat. I don't think anything else has very much influence compared to heat (insufficient cooling, overclocking, overvolting, etc.). On both my desktop and laptop, which both use fairly modern Intel cpu's with turbo-boost, switching to the intel_pstate driver with the default "powersave" mode enabled did absolutely nothing to increase the cpu temps over the old acpi-cpufreq "ondemand" settings. In fact, if anything, the temps dropped by a degree or two, and the performance increased.

The intel_pstate driver offers only two governors, performance and powersave. I've not tried using the performance governor, nor have I read up on it to find out what it's advantages/disadvantages might be.
Old 5th February 2014, 08:17 PM
glarehz Offline

linuxfirefox

Sounds good, thank you again. Huge help.
Old 6th February 2014, 08:30 AM
dobbi Offline

windows_7firefox

UDEV rules seems to be another path to do that.

* Listing devices names:
udevadm info --export-db | grep -i devname

* Listing attributes for devices:
udevadm info -q all --attribute-walk /dev/cpu/microcode
udevadm info -a -n /dev/cpu/microcode

e.g.:
Code:
/etc/udev/rules.d/75-hdparm.rules

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", RUN+="/usr/bin/hdparm -B 254 /dev/$kernel"
Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/laptop#Udev_events

Resources:
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_u...es.html#syntax (old need updating but still usefull)
http://www.monperrus.net/martin/ligh...nd+cpufreq-set (udev rule written to change cpu frequency to be taken as a sample do not implement that rule if you didn't do the match of proper devices and atttributes that you wanna target)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...gain_on_resume (This too looks promising)

Note:

There are two utilities to look at.
bootctl
sysctl

Last edited by dobbi; 6th February 2014 at 08:41 AM.

Tags
boot , commands , time