Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th December 2008, 08:50 AM
vonedaddy Offline

Disk Power Management

Is there any disk power management software in f10? I would like for my hard drives to stop spinning when the computer is idle.
Old 20th December 2008, 08:57 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

yum install hdparm

Add the following (for example) to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to give a 5-minute spin-down time-out:
Code:
{ hdparm -S120 /dev/sda; hdparm -S120 /dev/sdb; }
Read: man hdparm for details of syntax for option '-S' (spin-down time-out).

I'll have an updated F10 hdparm package (9.5=current) shortly, since this package seems to be low-priority in Fedora Project.

V
Old 20th December 2008, 09:45 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Here's the F9 hdparm-8.9-1.fc9.i386 RPM for x86 that I've been using for both F9 and F10: http://www.4shared.com/file/51747854...icroni386.html.

It works fine in F10 here, and it's more up-to-date than the available Fedora=8.6. Not GPG-signed. No guarantees/warranties of any kind, of course. But it works just fine here.

V

EDIT: OOPS! I knew I had hdparm-9.3-1.fc9.i386 laying around here somewhere: hdparm-9.3-1.fc9.i386.rpm

Last edited by Hlingler; 20th December 2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 20th December 2008, 11:58 AM
hephasteus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonedaddy View Post
Is there any disk power management software in f10? I would like for my hard drives to stop spinning when the computer is idle.
That's hard on your hard drives and saves almost no power. If it's noise then better to just box them up in a silencer.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:57 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Actually, I agree with hephasteus: based on everything I've read, HDD spin-up is at the top of the list for HDD wear-and-tear - much like starting a car. If you want to use hdparm to set HDD spin-down, that's fine, if you expect the HDD(s) to stay out-of-use for a long period of time. Otherwise, it's better mechanically to just let them spin away.

V
Old 20th December 2008, 10:44 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

I don't recommend boxing up a hard drive in a silencer for two reasons:

a) it keeps the drive from enough fresh air to cool it properly. With the newer drives on the market that run faster and thus hotter it is not a good idea to place it in a sealed container.

b) it's cheaper to purchase from your local hardware store a set of rubber washers. Remove the hard drive from your computer case and then while putting it back in use the washers with your hard drive mounting screws. You will be amazed at how quiet things become. Total cost: < $1

I too agree with hephasteus' and Hlingler' contention that HD spin-up will dramatically reduce the life span of your drive. Better to just let it run constantly. If you are concerned about your carbon footprint as regards this then you should consider getting a drive a) spins at a lower speed (e.g. 5400rpm) and b) has a large disk cache (e.g. >= 8Mb).
Old 20th December 2008, 10:48 PM
vonedaddy Offline

Well neither being green or the sound is a concern of mine. Sometimes the drive does not get accessed for days at a time. Its my second box and I only us it for some experimenting and scripting. So it may sit idle for a day or two at a time. I just thought it would be nice to have the drives spin down a bit, maybe after 3 hours of idle time.

One more note is that I often use this box from remote work locations. So its not an option to shut the machine down because with my luck it will be down when I am out of town and need to access it.

Also, is there a similar utility with a graphical interface??

Last edited by vonedaddy; 20th December 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 20th December 2008, 10:51 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

In that case: go with hdparm as described in Posts #2-3 above. Set the spin-down time as desired, as outlined in man hdparm.

V
Old 20th December 2008, 11:13 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

[QUOTE=vonedaddy;1135028]One more note is that I often use this box from remote work locations. So its not an option to shut the machine down because with my luck it will be down when I am out of town and need to access it.

Isn't that always the way. Cops, tools and an ssh connection... never there when you need one. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonedaddy View Post
I've never seen one before but that obviously doesn't mean there isn't one out there somewhere.
Old 20th December 2008, 11:20 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonedaddy
Not that I know of. There was at one time, many years ago (http://sourceforge.net/projects/drivetweak/), but the code is so stale it's dangerous. Would not compile here.

V

Tags
disk , management , power