Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th September 2004, 06:50 AM
Corvash Offline

X.org consuming significant amounts of shared memory (170-200MB)

After 1-2 weeks of operation, top reports X as using 170-200MB of shared memory.

Is this usual or a sign of a memory leak (eg. applications using XSHM and not freeing the memory afterwards). Restarting X may recover between 30-40MB.

This was discovered on an occasion where I was unable to start an application as it failed to obtain approx 6MB of memory (my system has 512MB RAM and perhaps a 1GB of swap, so this is a definite anomaly).

X appeared at the top of top's listing when sorted by memory, so thats why I'm investigating it first.
Old 15th September 2004, 07:43 AM
imdeemvp Offline

i would also like to know that too, and which programs to shut down if anyone knows please provide us with answer.......thanks in advance

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 16th September 2004, 05:53 AM
Corvash Offline

Try typing 'free' at a command prompt, you should get output like
Code:
[aravi@ironclad Fishing]$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        515848     510832       5016          0      20504     253168
-/+ buffers/cache:     237160     278688
Swap:      1847424      70080    1777344
The Linux kernel caches recently accessed files in RAM so that they're faster to load. It will free up this space if a current process requires it (as of kernel 2.6, this is slightly different - more on that later). This means that memory usage may appear higher than it is. The -/+ Buffers/Cache line reports how much memory is used by actual processes and how much is ACTUALLY free.

Now, to how kernel 2.6 is slightly different. When new memory is needed the Linux kernel has two options - free up some space used for cached files or swap data in memory out to disk. In 2.4 it would resort to swapping only after it had pushed out all cached files, in 2.6 it may do one or the other (controlled via /proc/vm/swappiness).

You might want to check if that is your issue, or if an app really is consuming that much memory. In my case, an application failed to allocate memory - so I know there is another issue at work. Running top and pressing shift-M will give you a listing of which applications are currently consuming the most memory.

Tags
amounts , consuming , memory , shared , significant , xorg