Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th January 2009, 08:06 PM
cxsfforum Offline

WINE-1.1.12 Machine Freeze

After updating to Wine 1.1.12, which has very recently become available, I am experiencing random hardware freezes, meaning that everything hangs including the kernel, but I cannot read anything interesting in the log files.

After updating the machine completely, the system became more stable, however I am still getting random freezes when wine has been run (several hours later randomly). I am running 2.6.27.9-159, latest kernel with the latest NVIDIA drivers, 180.22. The strange thing is that the machine does not freeze under pressure (based on load), or when idle, but on running firefox or wine. Could it be a page fault or an interrupt?
Old 18th January 2009, 11:48 PM
cxsfforum Offline

I am actually getting random freezes now, so its probably the update... or a hardware problem, but I doubt that it is the latter.

Anybody experiencing hardware freezes with the latest January update?
Old 19th January 2009, 12:34 AM
Maryyy Offline

I doubt that wine is the problem, though I use wine from source, not binary rpm. My drivers are also 180.22, upstream installer. F10 32bit, fully updated. Not a single problem.

Are you sure the lockups are really complete, so impossible to get to another console or use magic keys?
If so, then I would really say that it's rather a hw problem that new wine is able to trigger.
Old 19th January 2009, 01:25 AM
Lindy Offline

Just some FYI, 1.1.13 is out now
Old 19th January 2009, 07:22 AM
cxsfforum Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
I doubt that wine is the problem, though I use wine from source, not binary rpm. My drivers are also 180.22, upstream installer. F10 32bit, fully updated. Not a single problem.

Are you sure the lockups are really complete, so impossible to get to another console or use magic keys?
If so, then I would really say that it's rather a hw problem that new wine is able to trigger.
Yes, absolutely, even sysrq doesn't work; I am running F10, 64-bit.

I believe you it's a hw problem triggered by wine in my GPU... I also think (so far, I am still testing) that it is persistent to soft reset. I think it writes to some GPU register and leaves the GPU is some "dangerous state"...
Old 31st January 2009, 11:22 PM
minkwe Offline

I am having similar random crashes but I don't use wine. It apears to be linked to an update because it appeared all of a sudden. It appears more frequenly when X is running.

I too am running F10, 64-bit on Athlon 64 and Nvidia, with all updates installed.
Old 1st February 2009, 07:57 AM
cxsfforum Offline

Did you run wine or winecfg at all?

My random freezes happen on when after I run wine or winecfg and until a hard (complete power-off and switch on) reset. My system is rock solid for days on end if I don't run wine.

Hence, if you don't have a wine related issue it must be a hardware issue of the following:
  1. bad memory (this is the most often quoted, but really the most unlikely)
  2. ide/sata incompatibility (I have experienced this with Maxtor HDs and Chaintech motherboards, it is hardware dependent)
  3. power supply problem (you are not providing a steady enough current to a certain device)
  4. CPU problem or other (an IC is defective)

What I would try first is unplugging all devices on the motherboard and plugging them back in, just in case a connector or slot is loose. Also check the linux logs (/var/log/messages and run dmesg).

It would be helpful if you posted your machine hardware specs.

Tags
freeze , machine , wine