Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2011, 06:47 PM
xpzion7 Offline

windows_7chrome
Yum minimal install

Can i used Yum in a minimal installation ?

Old 7th July 2011, 07:01 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Yum minimal install

Sure. Yum is a command line tool and only requires a shell, which is where a minimal install leaves you.
Old 7th July 2011, 07:06 PM
jenaniston Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpzion7 View Post
Can i used Yum in a minimal installation ?

yum may be the best part of fedora linux . . .
it is much better than Ubuntu apt-get and synaptic package manager imho

and as said above, you only need be in runlevel 3 . . . no desktop even . . . to install with yum
Old 8th July 2011, 01:21 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

If you intend to use yum in the minimal system to install additional packages from the repos, then you'll need to be able to establish a connection to the Internet from the runlevel 3 (or multiuser.target or whatever it is now) command prompt. For me, that's very easy to do with a wired NIC in a minimal system. Usually dhclient eth0 (or whatever the interface gets named) will do it. If yum doesn't get connected to a repo, then consider adding some DNS nameserver IP addresses to /etc/resolv.conf. Those will work okay there temporarily. Later, if you go on to install the graphical environment, you'll need to enter those into NetworkManager for them to survive reboots. I find wireless a little difficult to establish in runlevel 3 nowadays. Starting with Fedora 14, wireless-tools was dropped from the minimal package set. When I have to work with wireless in a minimal system, I first set up the InstallMedia repo to get wireless-tools from the DVD. Then I can get connected and get everything else from the repos. WEP encryption makes the wireless connection simpler during the yum work. Then I switch back to WPA once NetworkManager is handling the interface.
Old 8th July 2011, 02:49 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

My wired ethernet is named em1 in my minimal F15, and "ifup em1" (as root) brings the link up.
Old 10th July 2011, 04:55 AM
xpzion7 Offline

macosfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
My wired ethernet is named em1 in my minimal F15, and "ifup em1" (as root) brings the link up.

My eth was rename to p1p1
Old 10th July 2011, 11:19 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

This new naming style is apparently going to be the new way of doing it, but I found in F15 that it's been inconsistent--one fresh install using it and another not doing so. I never figured out the deciding factor--probably one was installed in alpha or beta form and gradually upgraded.

Tags
yum install fedora