Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th June 2017, 05:36 PM
ToddAndMargo Offline

linuxfirefox
Feasability of a Fedora Server?

Okay. Whatever happens in Fedora eventually lands in Red Hat Enterprise Linux (EL, RHEL).

Feasibility of a set-and-forget Fedora Server:

I have a customer running a seven year old CentOS 5 server who finally wants to upgrade.

Initially I thought of EL 7, Buttttttttttttt. The stinker won't run on the C236 chipset. That would be.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1353423

And Red Hat is showing no interest in fixing it. On that particular server, I had to switch to Fedora to get the OS to recognize my hard drives. (Full hardware is over in the bug report.) And to be quite frank, EL drives me NUTS with all the out-of-date junk RH won't upgrade, but that is more of a desktop issue.

And on that customer, Fedora is fine as they are great about letting me upgrade it.

But this customer is a set and forget customer. EL is great for that. But if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. My concern is that the customer will have get so out of date that things will start to go sideways. (It did not under EL 5.)

What is your take on running a Fedora Server will go past end of life by several years (and I do realize EL 5 is well past end of life)? Maybe consider SUSE? (I would hate to have to learn another distro.)

Many thanks,
-T
Old 9th June 2017, 05:49 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Feasability of a Fedora Server?

What about EL6 (currently 6.9)? It still has another 3 years to EOL. Did you test the hardware against that already or just EL7?

Whether or not staying on a particular Fedora release would do any harm depends entirely on the actual role of the server.
Old 9th June 2017, 06:04 PM
ToddAndMargo Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
What about EL6 (currently 6.9)? It still has another 3 years to EOL. Did you test the hardware against that already or just EL7?

Whether or not staying on a particular Fedora release would do any harm depends entirely on the actual role of the server.
Never tested against EL6. What I noticed was that the problem was a timing issue. The native bot as too fast. When booting with the LIVE DVD I used to install with, I could ALWAYS locate my hard drives. When I tried booting natively (nothing new installed, just the base install from the DVD), then only about one time out of six would my hard drive be recognized. It has worked perfectly under FC24 and 25.

So ...
Old 9th June 2017, 08:22 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I wonder if there's a way to deliberately throttle the boot sequence. maybe some wait commands?
Old 9th June 2017, 08:26 PM
ToddAndMargo Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way to deliberately throttle the boot sequence. maybe some wait commands?
over my head.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:44 PM
ToddAndMargo Offline

linuxfirefox

Just talked to the software vendor the customer is using. He said there is no problem with Fedora.

But, what is your guys take on it going end of life for several years? Just don't worry about it? If it works, it works?
Old 9th June 2017, 10:55 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

There's no reason it shouldn't work as per EOL RHEL 5 did previously. People run EOL Fedora 19 and 20 still judging from recent forum enquiries. The only stumbling block they have is trying to install applications that now need newer libraries. So as long as the 3rd party software concerned setup is fairly static (regarding dependencies) or not changed at all, the server will work fine.

Wait commands was just an idea and to be honest it's something I have no idea about either.

I know they exist but not how to implement them. It's either script based and/or editing custom config files rather than a simple grub entry modification.

The only concern would be potential for un-patched security vulnerabilities if the server is hooked up to the internet, but that's the same for any EOL OS.
Old 9th June 2017, 10:57 PM
ToddAndMargo Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
There's no reason it shouldn't work as per EOL RHEL 5 did previously. People run EOL Fedora 19 and 20 still judging from recent forum enquiries. The only stumbling block they have is trying to install applications that now need newer libraries. So as long as the 3rd party software concerned setup is fairly static (regarding dependencies) or not changed at all, the server will work fine.

Wait commands was just an idea and to be honest it's something I have no idea about either.

I know they exist but not how to implement them. It's either script based and/or editing custom config files rather than a simple grub entry modification.

The only concern would be potential for un-patched security vulnerabilities if the server is hooked up to the internet, but that's the same for any EOL OS.
Thank you!

The only piece of software that has to stay up to date is Java.
Old 10th June 2017, 06:30 AM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox

Fedora works fine as a server. Just do security updates - don't do feature updates. That is all.
Old 10th June 2017, 08:37 AM
srakitnican Online

linuxchrome

If you somehow end up installing 7.3 on a disk you could try with elrepo mainline or long-term kernels. The other idea is to install it from a Fedora chroot environment and then set up kernel using this repo.
Old 10th June 2017, 08:40 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

are elrepo kernels older than the current 3.10.0-514.21.1.el7.x86_64 because I thought they were already LTS? I use this branch with CentOS 7.3
Old 10th June 2017, 08:43 AM
srakitnican Online

linuxchrome

elrepo compiles mainline kernels from kernel.org using rhel config file.
Old 10th June 2017, 09:02 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Thanks, in that case I need to stick with stock CentOS kernels since I'm using proprietary AMD drivers that don't support mainline.
Old 10th June 2017, 09:07 AM
srakitnican Online

linuxchrome

For the longterm kernel is using currently 4.4., and for the mainline it is using well mainline stable kernel which is currently 4.11.
Old 10th June 2017, 10:24 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Thanks for the information. I don't think there is a suitable driver package for my particular hardware that supports 4.4 for RHEL/CentOS either. I'd rather not risk breaking a working configuration since the current driver which I already use state in the release notes compatible up to 3.19 only.

AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series
15.302-151217a-297685E

*ubuntu fglrx-update drivers do support 4.4 series since they were re-compiled to be used up to kernel series 4.9 with 14.04 LTS. I use them for Linux Mint which is also installed on this machine.

back to the main topic, the newer kernels may indeed make a difference if todd can get them installed somehow. the problem as I understand it is that once the system is installed it won't detect /boot so cannot even reach terminal login to install any kernels from elrepo.

Tags
feasability , fedora , server