Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th June 2008, 08:01 PM
edjon2000 Offline

Unhappy Fedora 9 clean install, after reboot, monitor goes off

Hi Tried to install Fedora 9 today have now gone back to Centos 5.1 until solution,

I see this is a common theme I installed Fedora 9 from the DVD iso all went fine until the option to reboot, once rebooted monitor went into standby.

I did a remove all linux partitions and install, followed through the whole installation procedure without incident, at the end when it says press enter to reboot the system reboots gets as far as loading udev then monitor goes off it seems to be a graphics related problem because if I perform a text install I can get to the root prompt after reboot but as soon as I try to load any graphical front end, same result, monitor goes off, the system remains running and keyboard remains active. Graphics card is identified correctly as ATI Radeon 1650PRO as are all other elements so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Fedora 8 and Centos 5.1 both install and run fine apart from I have to disable ACPI as critical temp is set low (around 60°C) for Centos and Fedora 8 and 56°C for Fedora 9 (Amd XP3200+ runs typically between 50°C and 70°C) in my case between 49°C and 64°C so any ideas would definitely be welcomed

Last edited by edjon2000; 17th June 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Additional Content
Old 21st June 2008, 02:37 AM
n8makar Offline

i have the same problem with a radeon x1300
Old 21st June 2008, 02:45 AM
n8makar Offline

try this? http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188933

i dont have time right now but when i do i will give it a go
Old 21st June 2008, 05:29 PM
edjon2000 Offline

Hi all

I removed my ATI card and replaced it with my Nvidia 7600GS and it now installs fine and everything works fine for me, on further investigation it seems that my graphics card caused some sort of a domino effect within Gnome so I guess that there may be some sort of an incompatibility issue but for now it seems fine with the Nvidia card

Thank you for your suggestions
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:23 AM
paolinux Offline

I have the same problem, unfortunately... I got a new box yesterday, assembled everything, and installed Fedora Core 9. The whole installation process went smoothly, until I did the first boot. Once the system attempts to start X, the monitor goes off, as if it does not receive any signal from the video card.
The main board is an ASUS p5E-VM DO, the CPU is an Intel Core 2 duo E8400, 3 GHz and I installed 4 GB RAM (2+2). I am using the on-board video card, that is an Intel GMA 3100. As I said, it seems that FC9 is UNABLE to start X. However, I tried installing FC7, and everything works fine!! What is wrong with FC9, when a 2-step older OS is able to work with my hardware? Any idea?
Thanks

Paolo

Tags
clean , fedora , install , monitor , reboot