Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:57 AM
al_chem Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Scientific graphing and data analysis with SciDAVis

Quote:
SciDAVis is a free interactive application aimed at data analysis and publication-quality plotting. It combines a shallow learning curve and an intuitive, easy-to-use graphical user interface with powerful features such as scriptability and extensibility.
The package was removed in Fedora 24 as it failed to build and needed some care upstream.
In the last year development has intensified and a significant number of bugs have been fixed, while its codebase is being either rewritten or modernized. It also comes with an updated liborigin, that allows importing Origin project files.

I intend to submit it for a re-review, so that it can be included again in Fedora, probably at the end of August. I am waiting for some clarifications from the upstream developers and I am pressed for time, so the deadline is not set in stone.

In the meantime, I have set up a copr repo, from which you can get SciDAVis packages for F25, F26 and F27. For the last couple of months, I've had friends and colleagues use the repo, in sort of a "closed beta" and there haven't been any hiccups.

When I do get around to submitting the package and it gets included in the official repos, newer versions will overwrite the ones from my copr, so you won't have to do anything to switch (though a little housekeeping, in the form of 'dnf remove alexpl/scidavis', will get you back ~15KB of wasted bandwidth during each check for updates).

If you notice any packaging-related problems, please leave a reply in this thread. I will be on leave from next week, for ~15 days, so please be patient if you don't hear from me for a while.

If you encounter any other bugs, you are more than encouraged to use the project's issue tracker on sourceforge.net and if you are so inclined, you are also encouraged to contribute to the project - for instance, the documentation desperately needs some love.

Enjoy!

Tags
analysis, data, data analysis, graphing, plotting, scidavis, scientific