Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 10th August 2017, 02:32 AM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Improvements?

I've used Konqueror as a file manager forever; it's more configurable by far than Dolphin, and it always opens to my preferred profile. At least it did until I upgraded to F26. Now it opens to a 'malformed url' page. I can set it up as before, but the 'save profile' (web browsing, file management, etc) option is no longer there.

I can save my setup as a session, but there is also no way to make it a default session, so it still opens to the malformed url page. Once I go into the menu and click the session it opens a whole new instance of Konqueror, so I have to close the malformed instance.

Also there is no option for single-click anymore, and even though I have single-click chosen in KDE settings, I still have to double-click in Konqueror. AND, it only shows a few folder icons Documents, Downloads, and on the / side it only shows /tmp. Everything else is just a name with no icon. Changing icon preference from oxygen to breeze, mist or adwaita makes no difference so apparently it can no longer see icons.

I'm assuming all the 'forgotten' options were intended to make things more streamlined, but they streamlined my favorite file manager to pieces.
Old 10th August 2017, 04:10 PM
angryfirelord Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Re: Improvements?

Konqueror doesn't look like it's being maintained anymore. It looks like there was some attempt to port it over to KF5, but the commits have been silent for 9 months. I'd assume it's dead at this point.
Old 10th August 2017, 08:12 PM
jwmueller Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I don't use konqueror, but it's installed on my system. Man page says you can use: konqueror --open-session <session>
have you tried that?
Old 10th August 2017, 10:22 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks that works. I called my session home, and 'konqueror --open-session home' opens it cleanly. I now have Konqueror working like it did before the upgrade. I have the right pane my home folders and the left pane is / and also have bookmark buttons for quick connecting to my other computer, my phone, and my tablet, so being able to restore the session saves a ton of time getting around on my network.

The double-click thing is aggravating but I mentioned it on the KDE forum. So maybe I'll get some help on that. Or not.
Thanks again
Mike

Last edited by SomeDamFool; 10th August 2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11th August 2017, 06:11 PM
angryfirelord Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Looks like QupZilla is going under KDE and will replace Konqueror.

https://community.kde.org/Incubator/Projects/QupZilla

Quote:
QupZilla is a QtWebEngine based cross-platform web browser.

During the Akademy 2017 Konqueror BoF it was proposed to replace the aging Konqueror with it instead of trying to revive it. This was ok'd by the Konqueror maintainer David Faure.
I'd prepare to move to something else as Konqueror will most likely be removed.
Old 11th August 2017, 10:10 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I'll probably go with Krusader at least for a while. I already have it set up much like Konqueror. There are a couple of things about Krusader I don't particularly like but they are minor and I can live with them.
Old 15th August 2017, 12:18 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I was hoping for some help on the KDE forum about the no single-click issue and was told "That's simply not true." and that option was removed years ago from Dolphin and Konqueror because KDE global settings covers that.

I said I do have KDE global settings to single click and had mentioned I use xfce and was told that's why KDE settings don't work and "That's your problem." I added that even booting to KDE, Dolphin and Konqueror are still double-click even with globals set to single-click and haven't gotten a response to that.

So my request for help on the KDE forum got me snarky remarks and being called a liar. My impression was they were more interested and defending KDE than helping me solve a problem. Next time I'll call Ghost Busters.
Old 15th August 2017, 12:38 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

snarky upstream folk is a problem in some (not all) linux desktop environments and to be honest these people need to grow up and get over themselves IF they actually want a user base and to stay relevant to what people actually need from the UI.

trinity is an option.
Old 30th August 2017, 05:29 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Update: the single-click thing turned out to be a QT5 problem. In QT5 settings the single-click box was already filled so I didn't mess with it. Later I clicked it and realized it hadn't been ticked there was a gray ball in it. Clicking once removed the ball, and clicking a second time put a ✔ in the box, after which Konqueror, Dolphin and Krusader all obey single-click. Not sure what the gray ball is for but it fooled me into thinking single-click was already chosen.
Old 30th August 2017, 08:47 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

usually a grey box or blob means a partial selection but if it is an on off toggle it should be clear or ticked.