Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2017, 02:08 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Writing games in C language

Friends,

I have taught myself a bit of ANSI C. I would love to write some very basic games that can be played in a terminal only (as far as I know, C does not offer GUI support, please correct me, if I am wrong). Is there any good book on this very subject? I did search Amazon etc, but could not find anything interesting. Thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 23rd June 2017, 02:40 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Writing games in C language

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
Friends,

I have taught myself a bit of ANSI C. I would love to write some very basic games that can be played in a terminal only (as far as I know, C does not offer GUI support, please correct me, if I am wrong). Is there any good book on this very subject? I did search Amazon etc, but could not find anything interesting. Thanks.
C does offer GUI support. You have to do more to manage your application GUI, thats all.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 23rd June 2017, 03:11 PM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

There are a variety of GUI libraries that you can use from C. GTK is probably the one to use if you want to go that way.
(GUIs are fundamentally an object based system, so C++ is probably a better choice for GUIs, so I will put that aside for now, and concentrate on command line stuff.)

I think writing a simple game for the command line would be an excellent way to learn more about programming.

The simplest command line games would be text adventure games.
( http://home.hccnet.nl/r.helderman/ad...tpataic01.html )

If you want something with a little more animation, without going full GUI, you could use the ncurses library. You could do a simple space invaders using that library.

For more sophisticated games, the SDL library is quite popular.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:30 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
I have taught myself a bit of ANSI C. I would love to write some very basic games that can be played in a terminal only
Besides Ncurses, which orcatato mentioned, some other C libraries for terminal applications are Newt and S-Lang, both of which are in the Fedora repos (dnf install newt-devel slang-devel). S-Lang applications have kind of that old DOS/Borland-style look. For example, the JED text editor (dnf install jed) is written in S-Lang, and it looks like this:

OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 25th June 2017, 10:41 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You might also want to look at the source for some of the terminal-based games in the Fedora repos. For example, look at the bsd-games pacakge:
Code:
mkdir bsdgames-src
cd bsdgames-src
dnf download --source bsd-games
rpm2cpio bsd-games-2.17-51.fc25.src.rpm | cpio -ivd
tar xzvf bsd-games-2.17.tar.gz
cd bsd-games-2.17
Then look in any of the directories under bsd-games-2.17 for the C source code. I've always found this the best way to learn.
OS: Fedora 26 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 11th October 2017, 01:26 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a lot, friends.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 11th October 2017, 02:05 PM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

Have you had a chance to write anything interesting ?