Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th July 2017, 11:22 AM
IgorBrasco Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Computer won't recognize external hard drive with Fedora 10 on it.

Hey,

I had Fedora 10 on my old laptop and the computer died some time ago. Now I have a new laptop with windows 10 on it and I would like to retrieve the data from the old hard drive, use it as external hard drive if possible.

When I try any troubleshooting methods from windows users I get nowhere. I think because the hard drive has Linux on it.

Any suggestions on how to make it work?
Old 5th July 2017, 11:43 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Computer won't recognize external hard drive with Fedora 10 on it.

Personally, I'd download Fedora 25 Live ISO, write to USB thumb drive or DVD if your notebook has an optical drive and boot from it. Secureboot is supported with the 64-bit media so you can do this without having to change firmware settings.

then you can mount the external drive and extract any necessary files from it. save them to another USB device or the notebook's internal NTFS partition. your choice.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:58 AM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome

If the drive has Fedora 10 on it the filesystem it uses will most likely be ext3 (or ext2/ext4, I can't remember which was the default at that time). I don't think Windows supports that as default so you'll need a third party ext2/3/4 driver, there should be a few around if you google.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:25 PM
IgorBrasco Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll give it a go.

Tags
drive , external , fedora , hard , recognize