Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th February 2012, 12:20 AM
Jonn09 Offline

linuxchrome
Force shut down on Fedora 16

Hi ...... Long time Ubuntu user here and I wanted to come back and give Fedora a try again. The last time I tried using it was FC6 and for some reason F16 still feels just as buggy and unreliable as FC6 was back then. This is mainly compounded by the force shut-down I have been noticing.

It normally doesn't happen. However, when I am watching flash-videos on the browser, both chrome and FF, the laptop switches off suddenly after a while.

I believe that this is perhaps because of over heating. The laptop is pretty old (32bit), but it runs Ubuntu 10.04 with out a hitch and I see now reason why it shouldn't be able run F16. I tried googling, but nothing turned up.

Any suggestions? or Resources I can look up?

Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 12:37 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Force shut down on Fedora 16

Ayup. Sounds like an overheating problem. Beyond all the normal stuff such as making sure your vents and heatsinks are clean, try throttling down the maximum CPU speed ... or as pragmatic as it seems, go back to the last operating system under which things worked their best.

For me, F16 has allowed me to again use an older laptop that was badly prone to overheating issues. (HP dv9904ca 64 bit) But it did require CPU throttling to keep the beast from melting down under any significant load.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=272467
Old 5th February 2012, 03:26 AM
stoat Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonn09

The last time I tried using it was FC6 and for some reason F16 still feels just as buggy and unreliable as FC6 was back then.
Maybe so.

But trust me on this... You missed a lot of good, solid, stable versions in the meantime.
Old 5th February 2012, 04:47 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonn09 View Post
Hi ...... Long time Ubuntu user here and I wanted to come back and give Fedora a try again. The last time I tried using it was FC6 and for some reason F16 still feels just as buggy and unreliable as FC6 was back then. This is mainly compounded by the force shut-down I have been noticing.

It normally doesn't happen. However, when I am watching flash-videos on the browser, both chrome and FF, the laptop switches off suddenly after a while.

I believe that this is perhaps because of over heating. The laptop is pretty old (32bit), but it runs Ubuntu 10.04 with out a hitch and I see now reason why it shouldn't be able run F16. I tried googling, but nothing turned up.

Thanks
It appears that the Fedora 6 folks have come out of the wood work. This is the second title today.
Are you using the same hardware from Fedora 6 to 16?

I'm using a HP AMD64 machine and Fedora16 is rock solid. No crashes whatsoever.
My only complain, if it is one, is the length of the boot - but hey, I like knee-high boots
Old 5th February 2012, 07:09 AM
Jonn09 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Ayup. Sounds like an overheating problem. Beyond all the normal stuff such as making sure your vents and heatsinks are clean, try throttling down the maximum CPU speed ... or as pragmatic as it seems, go back to the last operating system under which things worked their best.

For me, F16 has allowed me to again use an older laptop that was badly prone to overheating issues. (HP dv9904ca 64 bit) But it did require CPU throttling to keep the beast from melting down under any significant load.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=272467
Thanks Dan, I will look into that and see what happens. I am determined to make it work though. because, I have been able to iron out all the other problems,.......more or less
Old 5th February 2012, 07:14 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonn09 View Post

Thanks
Sounds more like the dual video card problem, does that laptop have two cards?
Old 5th February 2012, 07:17 AM
Jonn09 Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDog View Post
It appears that the Fedora 6 folks have come out of the wood work. This is the second title today.
Are you using the same hardware from Fedora 6 to 16?

I'm using a HP AMD64 machine and Fedora16 is rock solid. No crashes whatsoever.
My only complain, if it is one, is the length of the boot - but hey, I like knee-high boots
Heh,....yeah, the same old hardware, I still keep this machine around. Good ol' Core Duo........however briefly it was in the market, this one has served me well so far.

I really have not had any problems in Ubuntu, and so far on F16, nothing too difficult to handle. But force shut down is just too annoying. On the plus side, the boot up time is much faster compared to Ubuntu 10.04.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Sounds more like the dual video card problem, does that laptop have two cards?
Nope, this just has a crappy old integrated intel graphics card. So far it has only happened while watching flash videos. So I will try running the PC on a different kind of load(not flash videos) and see what happens.
Old 5th February 2012, 01:20 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Another thought is to install gkrellm and use it to real-time monitor temperatures. You may have to install and configure lm_sensors as well.
Old 6th February 2012, 04:32 AM
Jonn09 Offline

linuxchrome

After a considerable amount of testing, I feel that the force shutting down was happening because of Flash in particular.

Copying, joining files, listening to music, working on Netbeans and even watching normal videos on VLC didn't cause any problems. Though watching videos on VLC did make the laptop particularly hot, but it didn't shut down.

Perhaps, it is because of the flash plugin, I used the adobe version. I will try switching to gnash and see if that helps. But this just serves to remind me how much I hate flash at a principle level........the internet will be a better place with out flash.

On the bright side, I am beginning to like F16, and am even getting used to the gnome 3 after adding extensions etc.

Tags
fedora , fedora16 , flash , force , forceshutdown , shut