Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th November 2012, 07:31 AM
Fewmets Offline

linuxfirefox
Nforce 790i SLI FTW /w Corsair Force 3 SSD

I looked all over the place and couldn't find anything similar to this. I have fedora linux working fine on my old computer (core2-duo, EVGA NVIDIA nforce 790i, 2xSLI GeForce 240). I just recently got a 90GB Corsair Force Series 3 SSD for free from my parents and went to install it. Immediately I started running into troubles.

Whenever the drive is in Fedora will either fail to boot, or rarely boot correctly but then be unable to mount the drive and fail to shut down properly. In both cases (start-up or shut-down) it will hang for 20 seconds and then return the message:

Code:
ataXX.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
ataXX.00 failed command: READ DMA
ataXX.00 cmd c8/00:08:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
        res 40/00:01:00:00:00/04:00:00:00:00/e0 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ataXX.00: status: { DRDY }
end_request:IO error, dev sdX, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdX, logical block 0
The XX after ata changes seemingly randomly (I've noticed it being 10, 12, and 15 but it's likely that it can be others) and the X after sd changes depending on where I plug in the SSD (obviously). This message repeats every ~20-30 seconds eventually either dropping me into a recovery shell if boot fail but continuing indefinitely if boot succeeds at shut-down. Removing the SSD causes Fedora to boot properly again.

Before you say "the hard drive is probably dying" or "The connectors aren't hooked up properly", it works fine in windows on the same PC, works correctly on other machines running linux, and does not work in this pc regardless of cords and ports used while HDDs work properly in these ports. Likewise the board is on the latest BIOS revision that EVGA has available.

I have tried disabling apic, lapic, and acpi (both individually and together) as hinted by a similar looking post with no change.

I am using the latest Linux Kernel and (according to the nvidia website) open source nforce drivers have been included with fedora's kernel since Fedora 5. It does not seem to happen at all with HDDs (I have 7 of them hooked up) and I don't have any other SSDs to test with.

I would really like to get this up and working and any help would be appreciated. I have Xorg.log, messages, and boot.log files from a normal boot without the SSD but it doesn't seem to save these logs when it drops into a recovery shell.

[edit] just figured I should note times in case it's relevant: It usually takes ~10 minutes for it to go into the recovery shell. In the rare case that it actually boots (~8% of the time) it will boot up in ~ 5 minutes and everything will work normally other than that drive but then it will hang indefinitely repeating that message when I try to shut down or restart.

Last edited by Fewmets; 16th November 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 18th November 2012, 01:36 AM
Fewmets Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Nforce 790i SLI FTW /w Corsair Force 3 SSD

I'm sorry to double post/bump but I would really like to find a solution to this problem. Is there any other information I can provide that might help someone find an answer? I've been playing around with things and I still can't seem to get it to work.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:03 AM
Fewmets Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Nforce 790i SLI FTW /w Corsair Force 3 SSD

Still having problems with this. Hoping to find someone with any ideas to try. If you need more information let me know but I really want to get this solved. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

Tags
790i , anforce , corsair , force , ftw , nforce , or w , sli , ssd