Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th August 2012, 12:39 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox
Help please on gfx card change (was Advice)

I currently run an old GeForce FX5200 in this F17 system which I have just installed using basic gfx node on the install. Now tomorrow I will get a new (to me) ATI Radeon HD4350 card to run in this PC.

Can anyone please advise me on the steps to take to ensure a smooth switch over from the old card to the new one. I do have the xorg.x11.ati driver installed.

Stuart

Last edited by broadstairs; 6th August 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:48 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Advice please on gfx card change

Do you have the Nvidia driver installed? (kmod-nvidia, akmod-nvidia or install from the nvidia site)

If so, you would need to remove the Nvidia driver.

To remove the Nvidia proprietary drivers (if installed using the kmod/akmod):
Code:
su
yum erase *\nvidia\*
reboot

If you don't have the Nvidia driver installed, and pretty much using the Fedora default, then it should detect the ATI card and load proper drivers for it when you boot.

However, you may wish to install the proprietary drivers once you get the ATI card installed.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503
Old 5th August 2012, 05:29 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
However, you may wish to install the proprietary drivers once you get the ATI card installed.
The HD 4350 only works with the legacy driver ;-)
Old 5th August 2012, 06:06 PM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

I dont have any of the Nvidia stuff installed just the xorg nouveau and xorg ati drivers installed.

I am aware of the HD4350 limitations for the drivers as I have this in my main PC (currently in the repair shop). I dont do games so for now the HD4350 is fine.

Stuart
Old 5th August 2012, 11:31 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Yellowman has packaged the legacy drivers and awaiting approval to get them into rpmfusion. You can download them here, though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/catalyst-legacy.tar.xz
Old 6th August 2012, 09:39 AM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Yellowman has packaged the legacy drivers and awaiting approval to get them into rpmfusion. You can download them here, though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/catalyst-legacy.tar.xz
Thanks that is great but sadly I am currently using 32 bit and these RPMs are x86-64 so no go for me. Does anyone know if the 32 bit RPMs might be done as well?

Stuart
Old 6th August 2012, 09:55 AM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

you don't need to install the proprietary driver. Just uninstall the Nvidia driver and then it should work out of the box. I guess the uninstallation of Nvidia driver will remove the xorg.conf file automatically, otherwise you will have to remove it manually.

If you want to play advanced games under Linux, then the proprietary Catalyst driver is maybe worth to get working. Otherwise just use the default Radeon driver. It's stable and works always (except if you had a very new Radeon card of 7xxx series).

I have a Radeon HD 3200 IGP and use the free default driver currently. I also tested the legacy beta driver a few weeks ago. It worked ok for a few days. But than I updated something (probably a mesa or xorg package) and then it stopped working. Instead of a reinstallation of Catalyst, I just uninstalled it to use the default driver again.

Last edited by Fenrin; 6th August 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:46 AM
broadstairs Offline

linuxfirefox

OK so now I'd like a little more help please.

I have uninstalled the nouveau driver and removed the xorg.conf, and installed the new HD4350 card. When I boot up it works but I cannot get my monitors native resolution only 1600x1200 max. My boot options show nomodeset and rhgb in grub2 and I read somewhere that these might need removing. I wonder if my problem is that I used basic gfx mode in the install because of the old nvidia card.

Can anyone suggest how I proceed please? At a push I could re-install but I'd rather not.

Stuart

Last edited by broadstairs; 6th August 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: missing words
Old 6th August 2012, 01:32 PM
Agent20 Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes, you will need to remove the "nomodeset" parameter for the open source driver to work properly. If you leave the "rhgb" option there then you should get the graphical boot at the native screen resolution.

(Make the following changes as root)

Edit the /etc/default/grub file to remove the "nomodeset" parameter from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX section and then rebuild the GRUB2 configuration with the following command:

Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Old 6th August 2012, 01:37 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Thanks for the PM

You will need to rebuild the srpms (they are compatible with the 3.5 kernel)

Review request at rpmfusion

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2400
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2401

Tags
advice , card , change , gfx