Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 9th September 2016, 04:24 AM
Doug Hutcheson Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queensland
Posts: 279
linuxfedorafirefox
FC24 print screen shortcut not working

I have Googled this without finding a solution.

I am running FC24 x86_64 on an HP Pavilion dv6. I have recently needed to take some screen-shots which I have done by pressing the Windows key and typing in 'screenshot' to access the application the hard way.

I have just decided to use the shortcut key 'prt sc' and found it does not do anything - no click, no screenshot.

In my 'keyboard' settings, screen capture is correctly set to 'Print' and, if I clear this association, I can reset it by pressing the 'prt sc' key, which is correctly recognised as the 'Print' key.

My old Lenovo Z61t 32-bit box running FC24 does not have this problem.

I do not remember installing or removing anything on the 64-bit machine that might affect this behaviour and 'screenshot' runs fine from the applications menu.

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be gratefully received.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th September 2016, 08:22 AM
hieronymous Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: auckland
Posts: 126
linuxfedorachrome
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson View Post
I have Googled this without finding a solution.

I am running FC24 x86_64 on an HP Pavilion dv6. I have recently needed to take some screen-shots which I have done by pressing the Windows key and typing in 'screenshot' to access the application the hard way.

I have just decided to use the shortcut key 'prt sc' and found it does not do anything - no click, no screenshot.

In my 'keyboard' settings, screen capture is correctly set to 'Print' and, if I clear this association, I can reset it by pressing the 'prt sc' key, which is correctly recognised as the 'Print' key.

My old Lenovo Z61t 32-bit box running FC24 does not have this problem.

I do not remember installing or removing anything on the 64-bit machine that might affect this behaviour and 'screenshot' runs fine from the applications menu.

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be gratefully received.
In my f24, Shift_PrtSc generates a + (plus) sign, which I can then use to Left Mouse Button _drag to enclose the required area. The expected Shutter sound is then generated.

Last edited by hieronymous; 9th September 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th September 2016, 08:35 AM
Doug Hutcheson Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queensland
Posts: 279
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
In my f24, Shift_PrtSc generates a + (plus) sign, which I can then use to Left Mouse Button _drag to enclose the required area. The expected Shutter sound is then generated.
Thanks for replying heironymous. Unfortunately my F24 does not exhibit that behaviour. Although the keyboard shortcut assignment process recognises my 'prt sc' key as the 'Print' key, using 'prt sc' by itself, or with any combination of modifiers such as Shift, does not trigger screenshot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th September 2016, 09:13 AM
hieronymous Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: auckland
Posts: 126
linuxfedorachrome
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

So pressing Print (PrtSc) doesn't put anything in the Pictures folder?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th September 2016, 09:24 AM
Doug Hutcheson Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queensland
Posts: 279
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
So pressing Print (PrtSc) doesn't put anything in the Pictures folder?
Exactly. Pressing 'prt sc' by itself, or in combination with the various combinations of Alt/Ctrl/Shift, does exactly nothing.

Running screenshot directly works fine. The keyboard assignment software sees 'prt sc' as the 'Print' key, so the application works and the shortcut key assignment is correct - it just does nothing. Sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th September 2016, 09:27 AM
hieronymous Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: auckland
Posts: 126
linuxfedorachrome
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Have you got a Live CD you could load for an alternate test?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th September 2016, 09:31 AM
Doug Hutcheson Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queensland
Posts: 279
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
Have you got a Live CD you could load for an alternate test?
Good idea. Just shutting down for the night, but I will try it when I get back on the air tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 9th September 2016, 09:52 AM
Dutchy Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ~
Posts: 1,894
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
In my f24, Shift_PrtSc generates a + (plus) sign, which I can then use to Left Mouse Button _drag to enclose the required area. The expected Shutter sound is then generated.
Wow, that is pretty neat. I didn't know about that! Since when has this been in Gnome Shell?
I guess this pretty much obsoletes Shutter for me since this also works on Wayland.

@Doug Hutcheson
Could this be a keyboard/driver problem (highly unlikely but still).
You could go into the 'settings > keyboard > screenshots' and change the shortcuts there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th September 2016, 06:47 AM
hieronymous Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: auckland
Posts: 126
linuxfedorachrome
Re: FC24 print screen shortcut not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson View Post
Good idea. Just shutting down for the night, but I will try it when I get back on the air tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
Just a couple of other thoughts.

If you have one, test with a usb external keyboard.

Also, this post may provide a pointer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fc24 , print , screen , shortcut , working

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AutoScan Network stopped working in FC24 ToddAndMargo Servers & Networking 0 25th July 2016 05:23 AM
kernel-4.6.3-300.fc24.x86_64 black screen alegrand Using Fedora 2 20th July 2016 08:56 AM
FC24 White screen on boot w/icons teraquad Using Fedora 4 17th July 2016 11:05 AM
Print Screen not working BrokenKingpin Using Fedora 2 18th February 2006 06:25 AM
Help setting up a keyboard shortcut to lock the screen? RichGags Using Fedora 3 3rd February 2006 01:53 PM


Current GMT-time: 15:04 (Wednesday, 18-10-2017)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat