Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th July 2011, 09:14 PM
pottzie Offline

linuxchrome
Getting printer to work in VirtualBox

I'm using VirtualBox with Fedora 14 as host, thanks to a guide from
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-red-hat-rhel/
It's working pretty well, but I can't figure out how to get the guest XP to print. I have a HP 5510 usb printer. I had to get an Extension Pack to get usb working, and now I'm wondering if that was even necessary. I think I could get it working like an ssh set up- but how?

Anyone know of a good guide for getting a printer working with VB?
Old 9th July 2011, 09:31 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Getting printer to work in VirtualBox

does this do it? Found this with a bit of google searching

http://funwithlinux.wordpress.com/20...in-virtualbox/

the url is for ubuntu but the general principles should work the same in Fedora

For example the first step of enabling access to your printer from any host can be done by running system-config-printer as root, selecting from the menu Server -> Settings...
That should get you to that same window they show there.

Last edited by marko; 9th July 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 9th July 2011, 09:47 PM
pottzie Offline

linuxchrome

Looks like a good place to start. Fedora doesn't have a printer dialog box that matches the (older) Ubuntu one. The printing menu in Fedora shows some good potential though. The cups page says to use the "Manage Printers" button-which I couldn't find. And the instructions for getting the mac address for the printer makes my eyes bleed.
But it's more than I knew before you showed it to me.
Old 9th July 2011, 10:15 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Personally I suggest either system-config-printer or accessing the cups web interface directly.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:22 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm running the OSE version & this brought up a very good point to me, as yesterday, I went to use a FLASHDRIVE with mine & noticed it was ALL grayed out. (USB & printers) Upon further investigation, I found that OSE DOES NOT SUPPORT USB. So in MY case, it's ALL "dead". I DID find the info to install version 4 & I take it that it WILL support USB?

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 10th July 2011, 12:07 AM
pottzie Offline

linuxchrome

Version 4 of Vb eliminates the "Grayed out" usb problem. I have yet to prove that it actually works...but it's not grayed out.
Great, eh?

Thanks to spell check for pointing out that I'd left out the "r" when I originally typed "grayed out" That saved me from posting that it was "gayed out." I have enough trouble already.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:22 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
Personally I suggest either system-config-printer or accessing the cups web interface directly.
Yeah, like I was suggesting in post 2
Old 10th July 2011, 12:23 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

OK - thanks for info - we'll see how it goes for you & then I'll decide if I really need the features enough to warrant the "hassle".
I, kind of, would like the printer too, as I have one that there are NO LINUX drivers for - best I can get is one in the series & hack it to work. Haven't got around to trying it though. Nice to have other options if one doesn't work!

Here's hoping you get it working!

BTW: everything here is as "STRAIGHT" AS A LASER BEAM...

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 10th July 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:25 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottzie View Post
Looks like a good place to start. Fedora doesn't have a printer dialog box that matches the (older) Ubuntu one. The printing menu in Fedora shows some good potential though. The cups page says to use the "Manage Printers" button-which I couldn't find. And the instructions for getting the mac address for the printer makes my eyes bleed.
But it's more than I knew before you showed it to me.

"Manage printers" button is in the cups page as runnable in a browser as URL:

localhost:631/admin and it's the third button from the left on the top

I bet maybe you didn't hit the "Administration" tab before and were in the main cups page

Last edited by marko; 10th July 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:40 AM
pottzie Offline

linuxchrome

Guilty as charged. Completely. I'm probably "speed reading" stuff, as I want to get this working.

Seems like everyone has a "reason" for installing VB. Mine is that my daughter is trying to download sheet music from a site that (a) only works in Windows and (b) to prevent anyone from stealing and recopying the music, only downloads the file as a print-only file type. So it's one click and it's history, you either print it or wave it bye-bye. And it's an iron-clad file, whatever it is, because I did everything but stand on my head to crack it, and couldn't get it to budge. So if Taylor Swift happens to see this, she can sleep soundly knowing that the local Glee club will never be able to paste her sheet music all over the web. And if they have such a killer file format, what the hell is up with the Windows-only file loader? But anyway...

Just went back and took another look at the guide marko linked to. I made it all the way to the point where I open Vb and access the cups page from XP/Firefox. When I try to get the "Administration" button to work, I get shot down, so I can't get to "manage printers" from Windows. Looks good though, as i now have the printer's mac info.

Last edited by pottzie; 10th July 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10th July 2011, 02:03 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Guilty as charged. Completely. I'm probably "speed reading" stuff, as I want to get this working.

Seems like everyone has a "reason" for installing VB. Mine is that my daughter is trying to download sheet music from a site that (a) only works in Windows and (b) to prevent anyone from stealing and recopying the music, only downloads the file as a print-only file type. So it's one click and it's history, you either print it or wave it bye-bye. And it's an iron-clad file, whatever it is, because I did everything but stand on my head to crack it, and couldn't get it to budge. So if Taylor Swift happens to see this, she can sleep soundly knowing that the local Glee club will never be able to paste her sheet music all over the web. And if they have such a killer file format, what the hell is up with the Windows-only file loader? But anyway...

Just went back and took another look at the guide marko linked to. I made it all the way to the point where I open Vb and access the cups page from XP/Firefox. When I try to get the "Administration" button to work, I get shot down, so I can't get to "manage printers" from Windows. Looks good though, as i now have the printer's mac info.
I've learned a long time ago, that if you can see it, you can get it. (figuring out HOW is the "fun" part, as you pointed out) In this case, ONE area I see a flaw is that once it is printed, it can be scanned & thus redistributed THAT way. - OR use "print to file"... if it will.

As for reasons to using VB, mine is to run stuff that otherwise just doesn't play nice with LINUX, a few HAM RADIO programs fall into that. Some other programs just love that REDMOND VIRUS (M$) way to much, & won't work on anything BUT M$.

For your problem - ??? ??? - not sure WHAT to tell you. But still rootin' for ya!!!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 10th July 2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10th July 2011, 02:13 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Hmm, it's possible you'd need to open the cups port in your guest? I'm not totally sure how VB networking works but if the Guest OS really looks like it's outside the host then you'll want to open port 631.
The easy way to do that is with

system-config-firewall

In the "Trusted Services" section, check the "Network Printing Server" box, "Apply" button and File -> Exit

About that weird music print problem, you mean you can't even do a "print to file" as in you can't print to a pdf instead of printing to the printer? That's what I'd try in that case.

BTW, just to tell you this, I did this exact thing at work once a while back and it worked (I could print files from the XP VirtualBox guest to my VirtualBox host's printer)

PPS: Another thing, the "Test Accessing the printer from VirtualBox Windows XP" step they do is not critical anyway, you could get the printer's cups url just fine
from the Host Firefox browser, just run Firefox in the host and go to localhost:631/printers the same url will be on the printer in there (ie hover your mouse of the
"Queue name" in the printers page and you'll see it)

Last edited by marko; 10th July 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10th July 2011, 02:19 AM
pottzie Offline

linuxchrome

Interesting. Network printing server was already checked. Must be done by the configuration mumbo-jumbo in the guide. Cool.

I was off-base thinking I had to do anything with the cups page in Windows. According to what I see, I need to tell it to set up a remote printer. Problem comes when I fill in the XP dialog box with what I think it wants. I show:
Description: hp officejet 5500 series
Driver: HP Officejet 5500 Series, hpcups 3.11.5 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: usb://hp/officejet%205500%20series?serial=MY447F10NF96

But when I enter "usb://hp/officejet%205500%20series?serial=MY447F10NF96" Windows pukes. I tried it without the stuff after the question mark, and without the question mark itself as well as the full string. Wonder what Windows expects for a path?
Old 10th July 2011, 02:27 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Interesting. Network printing server was already checked. Must be done by the configuration mumbo-jumbo in the guide. Cool.

I was off-base thinking I had to do anything with the cups page in Windows. According to what I see, I need to tell it to set up a remote printer. Problem comes when I fill in the XP dialog box with what I think it wants. I show:
Description: hp officejet 5500 series
Driver: HP Officejet 5500 Series, hpcups 3.11.5 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: usb://hp/officejet%205500%20series?serial=MY447F10NF96

But when I enter "usb://hp/officejet%205500%20series?serial=MY447F10NF96" Windows pukes. I tried it without the stuff after the question mark, and without the question mark itself as well as the full string. Wonder what Windows expects for a path?
No, I don't think you want to point windows at the nasty usb connection string that cups on the host has in its configuration. Just put in the url like:

http://hostname:631/printers/officejet%205500 (or whatever is actually is, like the "hostname" will be your actual host's hostname)

that is, it will be the queue name as is shown on your cups printers page in the host

Or one easy way to do it would be to get on the host's firefox browser, go to page
http://localhost:631/printers

now float your mouse over the Queue name URL under "Queue Name"
and right mouse click and pick "Copy Link Location"

now paste that into windows for the string instead of that usb connection string
Old 10th July 2011, 02:39 AM
pottzie Offline

linuxchrome

Tried the Firefox thing, couldn't come up with anything...but yeah, that isn't right. "Upon further review" I see from the cups page: http://localhost:631/printers/hp-officejet-5500-series.

But when I put that in the dialog box, it still says Windows can't connect to server.

After looking at Firefox, it shows: http://localhost:631/printers/?QUERY=&WHICH_JOBS=&FIRST={FIRST}&ORDER=asc. I tried http://localhost:631/printers/ in XP and that didn't make Windows any happier.

Last edited by pottzie; 10th July 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Tags
printer , virtualbox , work