Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th September 2017, 12:23 PM
fstab Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Switching from Windows 10 64-bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiv View Post
info on how to install both the Broadcom & Nvidia drivers…
Not trying to butt in here, but ditto on installing nvidia via rpmfusion. Otherwise, you will be forced to manually reinstall the proprietary nVidia drivers each time a new kernel is pushed out, which could be as frequently as several times a week.

The procedure is to enable the rpmfusion repositories then install the nVIdia drivers using akmod (auto-kernel modification), which will automatically modify the kernel each time a version is released.
Old 5th September 2017, 01:27 PM
HaydnH Online

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiv View Post
Hello All,
But, I will definitely need "WINE" so I can run Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5… I need the functionality that Dragon NaturallySpeaking has to control the mouse pointer by voice.
Like with the "mouse grid" command, as long as I can control the mouse pointer by voice. I'm good to go, don't mind having to dictate into DragonPad then copying and pasting into another text box. I already do that quite a bit anyway, for some reason trying to dictate straight into programs like Firefox and other web browsers and even other programs. I'm having to go back and fix a lot of dictating mistakes.
Personally I thought this would be more of a blocker than your hardware specs, it's easy to switch out hardware but if the software doesn't exist then it's not so easy to code it quickly. However, you may have more luck than I expected, there's a project called Platypus which is specifically aimed at translating Dragon Naturally Speaking (and others) running under wine and parsing the keystrokes to just about anywhere in Linux (apparently even including DirectX games). Personally I use Window Maker (another very light weight window manager) and it's virtually all keyboard usage, moving my hands to the mouse is an annoyance, so Platypus could pass "open browser" from Wine to my "ctrl-alt-B" which would be quite nice. More info here:

https://thenerdshow.com/platypus.html

There's plenty of native Linux voice recognition software, however apparently they aren't very good, see Wikipedia for info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech...ware_for_Linux

Also have a look at the Google speech stuff, I believe they can work from your phone to your Linux desktop using KDE Connect.

On a side note, personally I'm not a fan of Apple and would rarely recommend them to anyone, however my best mate is blind and he swears by the native Apple accessibility features (both voice in and voice out to tell him what's going on). That may be worth a consideration in future if you find that Linux isn't working out too well for that.
Old 7th September 2017, 07:36 PM
ThePowerTool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstab View Post
Actually,

What is absolutely true is the Zydas based USB NIC I recommended has worked perfectly across the 40-50 different makes & models of PCs & Laptops I've tested it on. It even works on tablets & 2-in1 devices. It's supported by the kernel and fully plug & play. Had I not been intimately familiar and fully confident in the device, I would not have recommended it.
"I saw it work" should come with qualifiers the strongest of which should be "it may work." Especially in a forum such as this. I would go so far as to call it unacceptable in this situation.

Given this directly addresses the original question and if you really did test then drop a link to your test plan which should include a compete list of hw detailing manufacturer and specific model # as well as the list of tests and your documented results which will allow someone to make an informed decision.

Saying you saw it work on a number of systems is helpful. Including words like "absolutely" and "perfectly" can be very misleading in this situation.
Old 8th September 2017, 03:53 AM
fstab Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

"Saw It Work" are your words, not mine. I've "tested" it on at least 40-50 systems and I personally use it daily on several boxes. I have friends and customers who also use this device daily on their systems.

With all due respect, if you have evidence refuting my assertions regarding compatibility, testing and daily use of this device, please enlighten us. Otherwise, you're just spewing about hardware of which you have no clue.

Last edited by fstab; 8th September 2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:01 AM
ThePowerTool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just to be clear--I was refuting that you had anything other than anecdotal evidence. That means "you saw it". You completely overlooked my invitation to provide your test plan and hardware list. You could have mentioned if you have seen it work on the hardware referenced in the opening question--a valid consideration given your reference to "at least 40-50 systems."

My comments hopefully clarify and prevent someone overlooking this and ending up in a bad position.

A real test documents hardware and test cases with documented results. Providing everyone with a hardware list (even if you didn't have a test plan) would be a good start rather than just stating "you saw it work" and "personally use it". Heh now I'm reminding myself of bad commercials from the 80's.

This is the last I'll say on it because I'm not sure you understand and I don't want to engage beyond the requirement of responding to the original request and pointing out anecdotal data.

Again, if you actually performed any documented test please share the data.

Last edited by ThePowerTool; 8th September 2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 8th September 2017, 04:24 PM
fstab Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerTool View Post
Just to be clear--I was refuting that you had anything other than anecdotal evidence. That means "you saw it". You completely overlooked my invitation to provide your test plan and hardware list. You could have mentioned if you have seen it work on the hardware referenced in the opening question--a valid consideration given your reference to "at least 40-50 systems."
Look Dude,

I've been building/selling computers since the early 90s and have been using the Zydas network adapter for testing on pretty much every system I've built for many years. That 40-50 number is actually quite conservative. I'm sure it's way more than double that. You can call it "anecdotal" if you want, but you'd be dead wrong. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

In terms of me providing you with some kind of documentation, I don't owe you anything. AFAIC, you're just another uninformed keyboard cowboy on an internet forum with unjustified delusions of superiority, and who has exactly zero credibility with me.

Hope that clears things up for ya..
Old 8th September 2017, 04:47 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

fstab and ThePowerTool - stop the off-topic fighting now please
Old 11th September 2017, 08:52 AM
Salamandra Offline

windows_7firefox

Hello.
In my opinion a very good guide to install Nvidia propietary drivers is:

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...-nvidia-guide/

As an alternative to rpmfusion. I have used archwiki procedures in fedora lots of times, but this is a fedora centered guide and you can cut and paste the commands straight ahead.

Good luck with the transition.
Linux User #365705

Last edited by Salamandra; 11th September 2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
lxde, newb, wine, workstation, xfce