<---- template headericclude ----->
text login appears for few seconds before GUI
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    amedhi Guest

text login appears for few seconds before GUI

Hi everybody. I have fc6 installed in my vaio laptop (dual booted with Vista). When I boot the machine into fc6, just before login the 'text login screen' appears for a few seconds, and then the GUI screen comes up automatically. Similarly in shutting down also, the text login screen appears for a few seconds before going through the usual shut down steps. It has been very irritating to wait to see off the unnecesary 'text login' secreen in every boot and shutdown. I remember this problem was not there initialy, it came after I made yum updates of all available packages. Could somebody please suggest me how to stop the temporary appearance of the 'text login screen'.

Thank you.

Wayne Guest
    Same here on F7 and with FC6 before it. I wouldn't say it was for a few seconds though, more like a quick flash then gone. Nothing seems to be broken so I just ignore it.

Wayne

stevea Guest
    Yeah - this is perfectly normal behavior.

Zontar Guest
    Any ideas yet? It is normal behaviour in that every correctly installed system is exhibiting it (including mine), but it is not the way Fedora is intended to perform. This didn't happen in the pre-FC6 days. In case they don't correct this, is there any way to manually disable these temporary text logins at boot and shutdown?

On a side note - is there any way to configure a "quiet" shutdown? One that goes to a black screen between clicking the shutdown button and power off. Thanks!

amedhi Guest
    I have not got any idea about it yet. You are correct- it is not the way Fedora is intended to perform. In fact the text login didnot appear in the initially installed FC6 also. Only after I did all the package update, that it showed up. In my desktop (FC6) for instance, where I have not done many package update, the text login do not show up.

The 'quit' shutdown, even if possible to obtain somehow, could be disadvantageous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm not mistaken I believe it's a by-product of distros that use bootsplash versus usplash...
    Linux Registered User# 419773
    "It Is What It Is"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...oh, and they're working on it...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releas...eBetterStartup
    Linux Registered User# 419773
    "It Is What It Is"