<---- template headericclude ----->
Driver (Possibly not :S) issues.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Driver (Possibly not :S) issues.

2 days ago I installed a newer graphics card replacing the ye olde (well not really, just low-end) Ati Radeon 9250 (128mb) which had it's drivers automatically installed - which worked fine (the drivers that is).

The newer one, an Ati Radeon 9550 (256mb) worked perfectly right after I had physically installed it; all went well - I could use Compiz and other GL applications without a flaw.

THEN (DA DDUUUHHH! :P) I booted into Windows XP (which I dual-boot with Fedora 11) and installed the correct drivers for that (Fedora automatically did so at first I'm guessing) and that worked flawlessly as well...

And now, around an hour ago I booted into Fedora 11 - was greeted with the message of "Input not supported" on the monitor - restarted the computer got the same result, restarted again this time using the VGA output(was before using the DVI port, with a DVI to VGA adapter - I was using earlier dual monitors but my brother is borrowing the other monitor(he borrowed it before I replaced the graphics card though so I don't think it's that)) it worked, only, now every now and then I get VHS-like (or the sort of artefacts you can get when filming a CRT monitor, but mine is an LCD) artefacts (like bands of black) running down the screen and I'm stuck in 1024x786 for my 1440x900 monitor (Acer AL1916W).

When trying to change the resolution in Display Settings it won't allow anything higher than 1024x786 and cannot detect the monitor (comes up with unknown).

I'm guessing it's a driver issue of some sort, because booting into Windows works perfectly without any artefacts or wrong resolution and graphics intensive things work without a problem.

So, if anyone can help me out here I'd really appreciate it, I've looked around without anything helpful.

Sorry for the n00biness also.
    Last edited by Mikeplus7.10; 22nd June 2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added some info that could help.
    Squigly Writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to boot from a livecd or a new test install to see if the artifacts are still present?

I have noticed issues in the past with a radeon card (x800) when dual-booting between windows and older fedora releases, but the latest F11 radeon driver seems to be stable so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried disabling kernel mode setting? That cured my woes with the machine not recognising the resolution supported by my monitor.

You need to add nomodeset to the grub boot line

Hold down the shift key when you turn on your machine, this will get you to the grub menu after the bios screens.

press 'e' to edit to the first line

choose the line starting 'kernel=', press 'e' again

add nomodeset to the line then press enter

press 'b' to boot with the new option

If it works, then you can make the change permanent by editing /boot/grub/grub.conf as root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    john_c: Nope, unfortunately that had no effect.

sideways: I really don't want to have to reinstall, I have a really crummy internet connection right now that does not like to mass download files (as in the amount of updates that would of come up, and the programs that I've installed so far, although I could easily just copy them somewhere) but nonetheless I will if there is no other way to fix the issue (is there any other way to reinstall, or equivalent?).

I'll try booting from the LiveCD and see if that picks up on the drivers.

Sorry for the late reply.
    Squigly Writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I can confirm that inside the LiveCD the artifacts are still there and the monitor is still "Unknown", cannot be detected and is limited to 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x786.

Though I'm not sure if that's just because it's off the LiveCD.

I don't think it's a problem with the graphics card, as right now when I'm in Windows there aren't any artifacts, the resolution is correct and graphics intensive applications/games work without crashing.
    Squigly Writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.

Does anyone have any ideas to fix this?
    Squigly Writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the bumping, but it is a really annoying problem that I can't find a fix for otherwise.
    Squigly Writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I've just done a full reinstall of Fedora 11 with no luck, same problems as before.

I know there is a way to fix this, as the monitor was detected and the graphics card did work perfectly briefly after I replaced the old graphics card with the new one.

Is it just I need to wait for the fglrx driver?
    Last edited by Mikeplus7.10; 26th July 2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Giant squid nearly ate Mel Gibson.
    Squigly Writing.