<---- template headericclude ----->
Virtual Machine Manager
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virtual Machine Manager

I'm having some issues with a windows virtual machine. The system is Fedora 11 and the virtual machine is Windows 2008 Server. If I start the virtual machine from the virtual machine manager, it only has a single cpu despite my setting it to eight. If I start the machine from the command line, I can get four cpus but not eight. In both cases windows seem to display the eight cpus in the device manager (or whatever program it is). It has been suggest that windows was imaged on a four core machine before being loaded on the eight core machine and that something in windows is maxing at four cores. But that doesn't explain why the virtual machine manager can only start one cpu. I just played around on my home machine with a fedora 10 live cd and it recognized the two cores on that machine and used them from the virtual machine manager without problem. Also upped it to three cpus without problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry dulsi, but VMM not best. You can try VMware or VirtualBox

VMM i was tried and uninstalled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discovered why windows only uses one cpu when run from vmm. It is due to the "-cpu qemu32" command line option to qemu-kvm. Is there a driver for windows that will allow it to use multiple cpus when qemu32 is used? Is there a way to change what -cpu setting the vmm sends? For the time being I renamed qemu-kvm and created a shell script that removed that argument before calling the renamed command.

I've already used vmware and want to switch off it for an open source solution. KVM seems to be what redhat/fedora is pushing so I'd rather learn how to use it properly.