FC9 and FC11 Questions
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC9 and FC11 Questions

Hi all,

I am a relative noob when it comes to FC but have been running FC9 for a while as a test lab machine at work and have another desktop that is on FC11 and have some questions I hope someone can answer for me.

FC9 - I havent seen any updates via Yum in about 2-3 weeks and am concerned, are there no updates or is something wrong? I've done yum clean all, yum clearcache/makecache and nada. My current repos are updates-fc9-i386-Updates, adobe-linux-i386, fedora.

FC11 - using FC9 I am familiar with the System Tools (Applications>System Tools>System Log) to view the secure log, maillog, etc, but cannot for the life of me find the comparable menu/command to see this same info in FC11.

thanks and sorry for the lame questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F9 went end-of-life on or about 7-10-2009 (IIRC). There will be no further new updates from Fedora Project (although some few 3rd-party repos may offer some limited new updates for a while).

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! thanks for the quick response!

Do you know where I can find the syslog in FC11 the same way I view it in FC9?

"FC11 - using FC9 I am familiar with the System Tools (Applications>System Tools>System Log) to view the secure log, maillog, etc, but cannot for the life of me find the comparable menu/command to see this same info in FC11."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure - I have F11-LXDE, which appears not to have gnome-system-log (part of package gnome-utils).

Try from command line:
    gnome-system-log

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find KSystemsLog, when I open it shows System, Kernel, Authentication, Daemons and X.org but trying to open either the system or Auth logs I get "The file '/var/log/syslog' does not exist" cant seem to find anything on the net saying I need to "enable" this logging, I would have assumed it would be enabled by default. Checking the folders in question I do not see the log files, so the error is correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running the KDE spin and/or KDE desktop instead of the default GNOME? You need to state such things when you ask....

Indeed, KSystemsLog defaults to Linux system (and other) log files that do not exist in Fedora, or exist under different names. Open the KSystemsLog preferences (KSystemsLog => Settings => Configure KSystemsLog), select "System Log" on left and press "Add File" on right, then select the correct log file (/var/log/messages), move it to the top of the list, and then remove the non-existant file /var/log/syslog from the list.

Repeat as required for other log files (e.g.: "Authorizations" = /var/log/secure, etc.).

V