Is there a way to open a windows partion via Virtualbox
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to open a windows partion via Virtualbox

Currently i have a dual boot on my laptop of fedora and vista. Is there a way that i can use virtualbox to open my windows partion while using fedora? I understand that virtual box makes a "partition" on my fedora partion and runs of that. It would be pretty awesome if i could open my windows partion while using fedora. Any ideas or alternatives would be awesome. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LinuxR, there is a small bit confusion here.

If you dual boot you are installing Linux on a separate partition of your laptop (of your hard drive). In this case you would be able to access Windows partitions.

OTOH if you're using VirtualBox, then it creates a file on your windows partition ( a pretty big file actually ) and pretends that its a partition and lets you run Linux. The difference is when you're running a VirtualBox you're already in Windows, and Linux is running within it.

If you'd like to share data between the two OSes, on example 2 then you may look at this link: http://blogs.sun.com/tao/entry/virtu...folder_between
    Last edited by notageek; 18th January 2010 at 06:07 PM.
    Robot Nite - Designated device drivers drink free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way that i can use virtualbox to open my windows partion while using fedora?
    Not necessary: you can easily mount and access the Win* partition(s) while running Fedora, using the NTFS-3G and/or VFAT driver(s), including (if desired) write support.
    It would be pretty awesome if i could open my windows partion while using fedora.
    Many of us do it all the time. Here's my /etc/fstab showing the WinXP partition mount (mounted read+write):
    Code:
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00        /       ext3    defaults        1       1
    LABEL=/boot     /boot   ext3    defaults        1       1
    devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0       0
    tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0       0
    proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
    sysfs   /sys    sysfs   defaults        0       0
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01        swap    swap    defaults        0       0
    /dev/sda1       /mnt/c_drive    ntfs-3g rw,defaults,umask=022   0       0
    /dev/scd0       /media/disk     auto    users,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid       1       0
    V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am dual booted and i have seperate partitions for both linux and windows.

I can get into my windows files just fine. The goal is to be able to open my exact windows desktop from Fedora's Virtualbox. This would enable me to run windows programs. I have no idea if it is even possible. Just wanted to know if anyone has any program or any ideas on how to get virtualbox to read the windows partition as the ISO and just boot from that partition. It is pretty far fetched but that would be pretty sweet if it was possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxR
    The goal is to be able to open my exact windows desktop from Fedora's Virtualbox. This would enable me to run windows programs.
    A tad bit complicated, but if you point to the Windows partition as the hard drive in your virtual box, you just *might* be able to boot. If you don't get a blue screen that is.

VirtualBox emulates a PC, the drivers in your Windows installation will conflict with VirtualBox hardware. Needless to say, it isn't recommended (unless you really really really want to do it).

If running Windows programs is your aim, try Wine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried wine but the issue arrised when i try itunes. I can open Itunes just fine but it wont sync with the iphone 3gs. Ill try seeing if i can point the virtualbox to my windows partition when i get home and see if that works. If anyone else any ideas or experience with this, let me know. If all else fails i guess i could remove my windows partition and have fedora take up the whole harddrive and then create a 150gig windows virtual machine. Is there any cap on having a large virtual machine like that? Would it take longer to open it up?

I dont understand why apple doesnt make a linux friendly itunes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a word of caution, there could be problems arising due to this and may make Windows unbootable (long shot but likely).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The goal is to be able to open my exact windows desktop from Fedora's Virtualbox.
    That was not clear from your first post.
    This would enable me to run windows programs.
    As already noted: there are other ways (e.g.: WINE) to (attempt to) do that from your Fedora OS.
    I have no idea if it is even possible.
    This strikes me as dangerous, even if possible. IIRC, Win* is very picky about driver/hardware matching, and VBox would present the Win* VM with wildly different virtual hardware than the Win* OS would see if booted normally (i.e.: on your "real iron" machine). This could cause numerous issues, especially next time you boot Win* normally. I have never heard of such an attempt.

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea thats what i am afraid of. probably safer method is to just pay for another windows copy and wipe the current windows partition. Do you know if virtual box works with windows7 or vista ( i always hear about XP being used), and also how about the size of the virtual machine. Any handicap on having a 150+ gig machine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just pay for another windows copy and wipe the current windows partition.
    Why ? If you move the existing Win* OS from a dual-install to a VM guest running inside Fedora, I would think (and hope) that the license should transfer*. You would not be making a second Win* OS, just "moving" the existing OS to a VM.

V

P.S. Note that you would have to have some install media for Win* in order to create the VM, and back-ups of any personal data.

*But note that IANAL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok i was reading some more forums about this topic and the below link is pretty much exactly what im trying to do. The posts end before a final results was posted but it sounded like they were making headway. I am not too familiar with virtualbox/vmware, the only time i have used a virtualmachine was to run a backtrack3 iso. My computer came with windows vista and i dont have the install disk with the CD code.

Per previous post, it sounds like i could just move my current windows to a VM and wouldnt be able to dual boot into it. That would work but i highly doubt my current fedora partition could handle all the junk on my windows partition. Current fedora partition is 100gb and my windows part is 250g. Unless all that stuff was deleted when it got transfered...

Im not sure if would like to get rid of my windows partition completely because i have a tendency to screw up my linux OS and have to reinstall it.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=93272

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. It seems that the results that you desire may be (theoretically) possible using this QEMU (but not VBox or such ?). I'd be interested to see the results. Although I'm skeptical, especially since I see QEMU is at VER. 0.12 (seems Alpha-ish). In any case: I would not proceed without full back-ups of the Win* OS & personal data, including install media (just in case something disastrous happens...).

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha ill have to read more into this QEMU to see if there is a more recent post. That post is from 2006. I havent seen QEMU before, though i am farely new to linux. Im not too worried about screwing up my laptop as much. I already have it backed up on an external 1tera hd. Just would be a pain, though it might be worth it if it works. Ill look into it when i get home and keep you all updated. Anyone with QEMU experience, feel free to post and advise. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM CST ----------

trying to make a backup of my windows partition and i get this message... That is why i hate windows. Cant even make a flipping backup without having to do a repair. This would only help if i had the windows cd to begin with!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950167

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windoze = fail.

http://failblog.org

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of QEMU try KVM (what is your processor?) will work pretty much as the link you posted. You will still get a BSOD though.

... and I've tried this as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast