Wine does not recognize CD drives
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wine does not recognize CD drives

Hello.

I am running a fairly fresh installation of Fedora 13 on a 64 bit machine. I am trying to play games with Wine, and I have the problem that Wine does not detect my "drives".

I have a number of ISO files mounted to folders. In winecfg, under the "Drives" tab, I have all these folders mapped as drives. But wine does not seem to acknowledge them as CD drives. For example, I have a Starcraft CD mounted and mapped as the Q: drive. But when I try to run the game, it claims that there is no CD in the drive.

I have also tried inserting an actual Diablo II CD in my CD drive and running an installer from there. It still tells me to insert the CD.

When running "wine explorer" I can see the drives and their contents, so wine clearly knows they are there. But some games apparently do not acknowledge them as CDs and hence will not read from them. Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Wine does not recognize CD drives

Update: I have tried going to winecfg -> Drives -> Show Advanced and changing the "Type" of the drives to "CD Drive". That had no effect.

It seems that wine does not detect the drives at all. I can see them when I run "wine explorer", but in any other program they fail to show up at all. For example, I have Starcraft installed. I cannot run the game because it does not recognize the CD, but I can run the map editor (StarEdit). From the "open file" menu in StarEdit I see only two drives: C (something created by wine) and Z (root of my file system). I do not see the dozen other drives I am supposed to have.

Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    I have a number of ISO files mounted to folders. In winecfg, under the "Drives" tab, I have all these folders mapped as drives
    I had a pc with xp and fedora, with xp purely for playing games and the games without a physical cd/dvd would not play without a "patch" (if that's the right word) although these "patches" are available on't net.
    A mate of mine told me where to get these patches but I'm not entirely sure the forum moderators would be happy about me posting that sort of thing for legal reasons and besides I'm not sure it would be the cure anyway

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM CDT ----------

Having said that netbook users (admittedly not exactly hardcore gamers) would need those patches no matter how legit their copy of a game is
    fedora 14 fluxbox and gnome2 hp compaq nx9030 laptop 2Gb ram, helicopter landing pad, jacuzzi, mini fridge, gateway to alternative dimension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bonedome
    Hello
    I had a pc with xp and fedora, with xp purely for playing games and the games without a physical cd/dvd would not play without a "patch" (if that's the right word) although these "patches" are available on't net.
    A mate of mine told me where to get these patches but I'm not entirely sure the forum moderators would be happy about me posting that sort of thing for legal reasons and besides I'm not sure it would be the cure anyway
    Thanks for the reply, but this is not what I am looking for. Remember, as I mentioned above, I actually cannot even run my games with the CD in the drive.

I know that the games I play can run from mounted ISO files. I have played the same games before, in wine under Fedora Linux, by doing the exact same thing that I am doing now, so I know it can work. I just don't understand why it is not working in my current installation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having the same problem with WINE not working with CD drives in Fedora 13 (64 bit).

motnahp00 Guest

Exclamation Re: Wine does not recognize CD drives

I have a related issue with StarCraft.

I am running the install from a mounted ISO (/starcraft1).

My install consists of two CDs. The first CD setup works great, but I'm stuck when I get prompted with the following:

"Please insert the CD labeled "StarCraft Disc 2"

I would greatly appreciate any help.