<---- template headericclude ----->
F16 Installs, Reboot & Login OK, then Error: System Can't Recover"
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F16 Installs, Reboot & Login OK, then Error: System Can't Recover"

I just updated F15 to F16. It completed with a successful installation message. I rebooted and successfully logged in, then after a few seconds, got a graphic error on the display saying "something has gone wrong...can't recover, log out and try again". I retried a few times with the same result. I tried to re-upgrade/install, but with the same result.

I have a dual boot Dell Dimension 9200, 160GB disk, with Windows XP Home & Fedora. The bootloader comes up with F16, F16 Recover mode, Dell Utility, and Windows XP Home. It does not have previous Fedora versions as options. I have always seen the two (2) previous Fedora versions listed, but I don't recall seeing Recover Mode as an option. I have upgraded from on version to the next several times without issue, so this looks unusual. Windows XP still boots and operates normally. I assume that this can be fixed using the recover mode, but I've never used it and don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F16 Installs, Reboot & Login OK, then Error: System Can't Recover"

Quote Originally Posted by mike191
    I just updated F15 to F16. It completed with a successful installation message. I rebooted and successfully logged in, then after a few seconds, got a graphic error on the display saying "something has gone wrong...can't recover, log out and try again". I retried a few times with the same result. I tried to re-upgrade/install, but with the same result.

I have a dual boot Dell Dimension 9200, 160GB disk, with Windows XP Home & Fedora. The bootloader comes up with F16, F16 Recover mode, Dell Utility, and Windows XP Home. It does not have previous Fedora versions as options. I have always seen the two (2) previous Fedora versions listed, but I don't recall seeing Recover Mode as an option. I have upgraded from on version to the next several times without issue, so this looks unusual. Windows XP still boots and operates normally. I assume that this can be fixed using the recover mode, but I've never used it and don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Mike
    Do you have any Gnome-Shell add ons enabled? If you do then try disabling them.
    Also Fedora has changed a few things in F16 GRUB2 for one, is installed instead of legacy Grub.

If reinstalling is an option then I suggest you reinstall F16.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you hit this message after login, a possible cause is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...-profile-gnome
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem after upgrading from F15 to F16. I removed all the old gnome shell extensions and themes, I had for F15 and:

Code:
    su -c 'chcon -R -t icc_data_home_t ~/.local/share/icc
    Gives me the error 'no such file found'. And I still get the 'something has gone wrong' error after logging in. Still working on it.
    Mike
    I know things. It's what I do.

90 Mile Beach, South East Coast, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day folks,
    I updated from Fc15 x86_64 to Fc16 x86_64 today using Preuprade and had the same problem.
    After reading this post and many others, I discovered my problem was with 'Caribou',
    for some un explained reason the version installed during upgrade was the i686 (32 bit) version,
    by running recovery mode (press f8 during boot to select), I was able to remove caribou in a terminal as root.
    Code:
    #yum remove caribou
    the i686 version will show up to be removed, then install the correct version.
    Code:
    #yum install caribou
    The correct version (x86_64) is auto matically listed for install.

I hope this helps some folks,
    Cheers,
    The Bandit.
    Where's the Any key?
    Intel i7 3770K
    Intel HD 4000 Graphics
    Fedora 17 x86_64 Beefy Miracle on 2x1tb Seagate Sata3 HDD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, yeah, that's the other major cause of problems logging in after upgrades, and I still didn't figure out what's causing that damn problem yet. IIRC that causes you to get the error *at gdm stage*, though, not after logging in.

mike191, if it's not the color profile thing or the caribou thing, you'll want to paste ~/.xsession-errors from a failed attempt to login, so we can see if we can figure out from that what the problem is.
    Fedora QA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I get the can't recover please logout and try again error after login to Gnome 3...

If I hit the super key the activities screen is visible and browsable, as are menu items. Click anything however and it wants to open in the main screen, which is of course nothing but black.

When I click the logout button on the black screen, just for a second the black screen disappears and there is my desktop, which of course vanishes as I'm logged out.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem isn't the warning screen itself, since everything behind it seems to work (in the activities area at least). Meanwhile I'm chugging along in XFCE...
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried the suggestions, but had no luck. I finally executed a fresh install of F16 as opposed to an upgrade and all seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestions! It seems that many people are having issues with the F16 upgrade.....Mike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest, many people have issues with upgrade on _every_ release. upgrade is just intrinsically a very difficult thing to make work flawlessly. we do our best, but it's just the way it is.
    Fedora QA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somedamfool: the 'fail whale' (as the screen is colloquially known) pops up when any key component of GNOME crashes more than once within 60 seconds. some of the 'vital' components don't actually stop absolutely everything working at all, and sometimes you get a bug where, for whatever reason, the thing crashes a _few_ times but then sorts itself out and works. so yeah, there are cases where the screen pops up but you can still do _some_ stuff, and even cases where it's essentially a false positive and the whole desktop is working fine behind it.

in the second case you can just close it with alt-f4 and carry on with your day. in the first case, there's still a serious problem that needs fixing. yours sounds like the first case rather than the second to me. do abrt or ~/.xsession-errors provide any indication of what it is that's crashing?
    Fedora QA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw no errors at all. That's what was confusing. I didn't mean to sound unfairly critical about upgrades and the difficulties involved. I haven't heard the term 'fail whale' - that's hilarious. Sorry I couldn't provide more information about the problem, but being pressed for time, I opted for a fresh install. This can probably be closed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'fail whale' is the name for Twitter's over-capacity screen:

https://www.readwriteweb.com/archive...fail_whale.php

someone decided to use the name for GNOME's 'oops' screen too, and it stuck. Despite it not including any aquatic species at all. :P
    Fedora QA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AdamW,
    It's not just the fail screen, and I checked for errors in the log files and found a ton related to Gnome, most of which I can't make heads or tails of.

When Gnome 3 came out I had to install a bunch of 3rd party things to make it usable, but I got used to it and almost liked it. But after upgrading from F15 to F16 Gnome 3 is broken. However XCFE and KDE still work fine. I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to fix a desktop I wasn't that thrilled with to begin with when the other two came through the upgrade unscathed.

So unless and until Gnome fixes their tempermental desktop I'm sticking with XFCE. And that's all I got to say about that.
    Mike