<---- template headericclude ----->
digiKam Failed connection to camera FC4 USB Canon Digital Rebel
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    LarryJ Guest

Unhappy digiKam Failed connection to camera FC4 USB Canon Digital Rebel

digiKam from Fedora Extras is installed and seeminly working OK. I found my camera in the dropdown within digiKam's Camera, Add Camera menu. However either normal or PTP mode triggers an error message box that says "Failed to connect to camera. Please make sure its connected ..."

So I read somewhere that I should look in /proc/bus/usb/devices to see if the camera was in there. It is here's part of that file:
    T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=01 Dev#= 20 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=04a9 ProdID=30ee Rev= 0.01
    S: Manufacturer=Canon Inc.
    S: Product=Canon Digital Camera
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=100mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 64 Ivl=64ms
    Next I read somewhere that I should look at /var/log/messages . When I turn the USB connected camera on and off I see
    Jan 1 14:13:50 localhost kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
    Jan 1 14:13:54 localhost kernel: usb 1-5: USB disconnect, address 8
    But I never see a /dev directory entry that even looks remotely like a camera. I was expecting something like /dev/sda1. My usb scanner shows up with this entry:
    "scanner-usb-:proc:bus:usb:005:002"
    So therefore without the knowing the directory entry /dev/sda , I cannot do the next step which is something like (I think!!)
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/canon
    mount -o uid=1000,gid=100 /dev/sda1 /mnt/canon
    I've tried everything I can think of. Is there anything you can think of that I should try?
    Thanks,
    Larry :(

Tashiro Guest
    Moved to Hardware.

Tashiro

ttrainor Guest
    I have a similar problem with a USB 2.0 mp3 player. ehci is loaded, and device is recognized, but no device node is created. I am beginning to think it may be a bug in FC4 with usb 2.0 mass-storage devices. Can anyone with knowledge of udev help us out?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=426884
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=395072

LarryJ Guest
    trainor,
    I installed a copy of usbview 1.0-13. My camera is displayed in there seconds after I plug it's usb cable in. Also I'm certain the kernel was compiled with hotplug support. which I read is necessary. I've struggled with trying to fathom what the problem is for about two days now. I tried "modeprobe usb-storage" to get SCSI emulation started but that wasn't any help.

Another interesting item is that I have a second computer (older) with FC4 installed from the same installation CD's. When I run gphoto2 --auto-detect on it, I get the same result as on my other FC4 box. (Just emits the words Model and Port with a dashed line underneath. No camera info) However, usbview on the olde shows the camera info immediately just like the newer box.

In the mean time, my old DeskStar HardDrive (in olde) is getting ready to die. That will keep me occupied for a while!

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
    Larry
    Last edited by LarryJ; 2nd January 2006 at 10:09 PM.

LarryJ Guest
    TTrainor and all,

Look at BugZilla https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=160362

At this step in the learning curve (the learning curve is jagged for me, some days I don't learn anything!), I wonder if our problem is that we have not defined a udev rule for our hardware. I'm going to download doc for udev and read that.

Edit1 ... At my level, info HOTPLUG and udev are barely readable so no help there. However, http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/ looks much more promising.

Edit2 ...Changed /etc/udev/udev.conf syslog(3) priority to "info" as shown:
    udev_log="info"
    Now /var/log/messages shows
    Jan 3 09:32:02 localhost default.hotplug[29431]: invoke /etc/hotplug/usb.agent ()
    Jan 3 09:32:03 localhost usb.agent[29431]: ... no modules for USB product 4a9/30ee/1
    Jan 3 09:32:03 localhost udev[29449]: udev_rules.c: no rule found, use kernel name 'usbdev1.14'
    Jan 3 09:32:03 localhost udev[29449]: udev_add.c: creating device node '/dev/usbdev1.14'
    when I plug in the Canon camera (vendor 04a9 Product ID 30ee).

Edit3: Loads of information about hotplug and writing udev available here:
    Udev Info from kernel.org

Edit4: Some progress. As suggested in the info pub in Edit3, I created a file
    10-local.rules as root in the directory /etc/udev/rules.d . In this file I placed the
    following lines. The vendor id and product id came from information provided by usbview.
    Code:
    #  Written by LJ Wed 04 Jan 2006 10:27:27 AM MST 
    BUS="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}="04a9", SYSFS{idProduct}="30ee", NAME="canon"
    Now when I turn on the usb connected camera, my /var/log/messages shows the following:
    Jan 4 11:05:06 localhost default.hotplug[6927]: invoke /etc/hotplug/usb.agent ()
    Jan 4 11:05:06 localhost usb.agent[6927]: ... no modules for USB product 4a9/30ee/1
    Jan 4 11:05:06 localhost udev[6945]: udev_rules.c: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules[2]' applied, 'usbdev1.10' becomes 'canon'
    Jan 4 11:05:06 localhost udev[6945]: udev_add.c: creating device node '/dev/canon'
    And sure enough, in the /dev directory is a node named
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 189, 8 Jan 4 10:58 canon
    Now to see if I can mount this dev and read from it. (I don't understand all this but it looks promising. )

Edit 5: so I command as root
    mount -t vfat /dev/canon /mnt/canon
    mount replies
    mount: /dev/canon is not a block device
    Well yes, "crw-rw---- 1 root root 189, 8 Jan 4 10:58 canon" reveals
    that /dev/canon is a character "c" and not a block "b" device. The question is how do I create /dev/canon as a block device?

LJ
    Last edited by LarryJ; 5th January 2006 at 05:10 PM.

LarryJ Guest

Exclamation Success! Download from Canon Digital Rebel XT

I've been carrying on a conversation with myself now for a week or so. Tonight I was browsing through the menu on my Canon Digital Rebel XT model 350D (USB idProduct 30ee and USB idVendor 04a9). Over on the right most menu, I found the Communication menu and it was selectable between options "PC connection" and "Print/PTP" mode. It was set to PC Connection and that didn't do anything so I set it to Print/PTP.

Pluged in the USB cord, turned on the camera, and there's a window that says "Import photos from camera?" When you click Import Photos, gphoto2 is triggered and away you go.

I hope this saves you some time.

Larry

jacquessupp Guest

protocol for cannon rebel xt

somebody know where I can find the communication protocol of rebel cannon xt

it look like it is secret my ...

nobody know what is look like

jack 47'N 7!'O

srivathsa.b Guest
    I was also having similar problem , thanks for the info